UBM strategies: Befriend the KH outcasts

by Check_Your_Premises 45 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

kls, what C_Y_P and I are trying to do is develop a focused, calculated strategy of recovery. We're not talking random acts of kiss-ass here. I am ready to stand by the approach because frankly, it's working.

That doesn't mean it will work for everybody. Sometimes a frank analysis of the marriage will show up fatal flaws and sometimes the kindest thing we can do to walk away.

I believe C_Y_P is on the cusp of snatching his wife out of the jaws of the WTBTS. I've already won; I'm on mop-up detail. Others are on their final ropes and evaluating whether the marriage is salvageable at all.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Trust me Carla, I've had more to be angry about regarding the JWs than I ever thought possible. I don't mean to pick apart your stance. I think if you're satisfied with cutting your losses with regard to your husband, and limiting the influence of the WTS on your children, you're doing just fine.

But after years of this BS I've come to realize that I must not direct my anger toward JWs. They simply have a different model of reality than we do. Within that model, they conscientously act according to what's right and wrong. This constructed model, since it clashes with actual reality, must be constantly re-enforced from on high. The most effective thing we can do is to put OURSELVES in that model, and understand it inside-out. See through the eyes of our loved one. The more we understand their frame of reference, the more we will understand how to challenge it, and the more productive our efforts will be. We begin to understand their world more and this effort will naturally ease their apprehension at understanding ours.

• kls
    kls
    , what C_Y_P and I are trying to do is develop a focused, calculated strategy of recovery. We're not talking random acts of kiss-ass here. I am ready to stand by the approach because frankly, it's working.

That doesn't mean it will work for everybody. Sometimes a frank analysis of the marriage will show up fatal flaws and sometimes the kindest thing we can do to walk away.

I believe C_Y_P is on the cusp of snatching his wife out of the jaws of the WTBTS. I've already won; I'm on mop-up detail. Others are on their final ropes and evaluating whether the marriage is salvageable at all.

I do hope it works for CYP and others but others have to realize it will not work for many and thinking that if many of us nonjws work harder at our relationship things will change, Scapegoat ? it takes two to make it work and when there is only one trying and are up against millions i find it hard to blame it on a Scapegoat.

Walk away ,yes for some but others are not ready to give up the fight.I am sure some have other problems in their lives as far as marriage and yes they may blame it on the JWS but why add fuel to what may have been worked out.

• carla
    carla

I do understand the mind set of a jw. But that still shouldn't negate personal responsibility in life.

It's like living with someone with a mental illness. The starting point of reality is different from that of the rest of society. If your spouse had a severe drug problem wouldn't you try to limit their exposure to their druggy friends?

I can see where KLS is coming from, it does seem often on this board that those who have tried the bend over backwards technique and haven't gotten anywhere, are told they must just have a crappy marriage somehow and the jw issue is just a little side issue. I think some forget there are other ways that have been successful. If the jw cannot see any chinks in the wt armour to begin with, they are not ready.

Jgnat's story of the guy who now became super dad- what it looks like you are saying is that the kids mom has basically abandoned them for the wt. Now dad, who never really took his role serious is now doing so. Great. They gained a dad and lost their mom. My kids, hmm, where to start? One has basically written him off so to speak. She is polite and talks to him but really doesn't care anymore. The younger one is torn between still wanting his approval and being upset by his constant abandonment. Yes, we make plans to do fun things while he is gone and we do have fun. The hard part is they still have a memory, you see theirs hasn't been wiped clean by the society. They remember when he was dad. You can put any spin on it you want but life still has to go on for the rest of us.

I haven't written him off, just realized I need to make plans in my life as well. The society itself has put all umb's as second class citizens. Someday's it is just easier to live with that info than others. I can't just give up on life because he and the wt have decided I am merely a 'pest' or worthy of death.

We actually do still go out and have a nice time, don't get me wrong. But you cannot just brush aside the enormous changes that occur when a spouse joins a destructive cult. The changes are profound.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Carla, you should know that I have not blithely brushed aside the influences the WTBTS intruded in our marriage.

• M.J.
    M.J.

It's not only the mindset of a JW we need to understand...It's the mindset of your spouse.

I found that my understanding of the JW mindset was not complete at all when all of my info came from non-JW and ex-JW sources, especially from this board. In fact, some of it was totally wrong.

You clearly should not cross your own lines on what is acceptable/unacceptable and right/wrong. Spending more time with the kids and paying more attention to my wife does not cross my line! (no, I'm not the guy jgnat was talking about). You need to foster a respect for your standards from your spouse. But you must display an equal respect for theirs.

Is this an ideal way to live? No. If I did not entertain hopes of rescuing my spouse I would definitely not go through all the effort I go through. I would strike for a permanent agreement and live with it.

Steven Hassan, in Releasing the Bonds says, "Learn how to express emotions that are triggered by cult involvement in a way that brings you closer to your goals of improving communication and building rapport and trust."

• jgnat
    jgnat
    I can see where KLS is coming from, it does seem often on this board that those who have tried the bend over backwards technique and haven't gotten anywhere, are told they must just have a crappy marriage somehow

Heavens to betsey no! We can do all the "right" things, but in the end, everyone has a free will. If the idiot partner won't respond, then, harder choices have to be made! I thought I made that clear that a UBM who sits down and deliberately strategizes about their situation may determine that the marriage is not salvageable!

and the jw issue is just a little side issue.

Just because I make peace with the cult personality in no way suggests I condone their choices. Again, I'd think my long and protracted involvement on this board would make that abundantly clear.

I think some forget there are other ways that have been successful.

If other ways have been successful, please share! I am collecting all successful strategies. So far as I can see, open war doesn't work.

If the jw cannot see any chinks in the wt armour to begin with, they are not ready.

A single visit to the hall would probably point out a few. All you'd have to do is point to it. Just because your partner denies it is a weakness doesn't mean it isn't there.

Jgnat's story of the guy who now became super dad- what it looks like you are saying is that the kids mom has basically abandoned them for the wt. Now dad, who never really took his role serious is now doing so. Great. They gained a dad and lost their mom.

In this case, I did not share the full story. In this case, the children haven't lost anything. This is definitely a dynamic, however, where a partner converts partway through the marriage. The partner AND the children are going to see the conversion as a betrayal.

It's like living with someone with a mental illness. The starting point of reality is different from that of the rest of society.

I've lived with more than one person with a mental illness. I won't do it again. Too much chaos. There are similarities and differences. A mentallly ill person can't self-assess, so trusted loved-ones have to intervene on their behalf when their health goes south. Recent treatment plans include helping the mentally ill learn to self-assess and reach out for help before things get too bad. I think a JW won't admit that the WTBTS is the source of their problems. Those who love the mentally ill and JW's certainly shouldn't downplay the problem. AA can help sort out the mess of enabling.

If your spouse had a severe drug problem wouldn't you try to limit their exposure to their druggy friends?

If my spouse had a severe drug problem I'd close all joint accounts and leave him. Again, someone with a severe drug problem has similarities and differences with someone addicted to the JW dreams of paradise. So how do you control the association of a grown adult? Refusing to associate with them yourself has not curtailed his meeting attendance. I prefer to remove the mystique. Also, they can't demonize me. They are just people, after all.

• carla
    carla

M.J.,

I agree with what you said (and I didn't think you were the guy). However, how does one build trust with a spouse when that spouse is not really just the spouse but includes elders, MS, and the entire cong? What needs to be discussed is personal, not open to the general public. In this case it is. Hassan does not cover that issue, from what I remember. I do have hopes of rescuing him as well. In fact he supposed to be looking into a certain issue now. Glimmers of hope yet again. The roller coaster ride is a long one!

Actually I shouldn't say 'I' have hopes of rescuing him, as I don't think it really works that way. He must see for himself.

I guess what I have been trying to say is the loss of privacy makes it difficult to discuss anything with a jw spouse. As you never know who they blab things to. Trust has to go both ways and when gossip makes it way back to me, where do you think it originated? How would anyone know any personal info about me unless he himself had mentioned anything to them?

I don't give him a hard time when he leaves, a simple goodbye. But I will not help him in any way either. I don't help alcoholic friends obtain alcohol either, I don't give it to them as gifts for example.

Understanding the mindset of jw or spouse, Yes interesting. What he was and what he is now are two entirely different things. What he used to find unacceptable before in behavior or how one parents is completely different than before. What he excuses away today he never would have dreamed of it before, in fact just the opposite. That is why mind control is far more dangerous than traditional brainwashing. Only most people don't understand there is a difference between the two.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Jgnat,

I may not have hit it in any comprehensive way, but the issues of demonizing and scapegoating are SUCH common pitfalls, I really think they need to be included in any kind of discussion of how ubm's should handle things...

CYP

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises
    If other ways have been successful, please share! I am collecting all successful strategies. So far as I can see, open war doesn't work.

Actually Gary Buss was an example. Their marriage was destroyed. They went to a counselor and slowly negotiated less meeting time for his wife.

Eventually, she was more open minded and left. I guess it wasn't a case of open war throughout, but open war precipitiated the situation to a point of crisis. She was forced to choose whether or not she really believed all this stuff. She was forced to decide if she was really willing to give up her "meal ticket" as Gary put it.

CYP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit