Donation Arrangement, is it Worldwide?

by wanderlustguy 15 Replies latest jw friends

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

May be a dumb question, but are all countries on the "donation arrangement" with regard to literature?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

They only use the "donation arrangement" where selling books will result in their being taxed.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Good Answer E, Good Answer

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

Is this true? I have noticed some here talk about paying for books. I thought the whole spin here was that the worldwide work was now donation, meaning "we" trusted in Jehovah make things happen.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The only reason the WTS turned to the "donation arrangement" was because the US Supreme Court ruled that religious organizations could be taxed for selling products and services.

The instant the court ruling came down the WTS suddenly decided Jehover wanted them to rely on donations.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

The tax thing is the deciding factor. That is why the Society was in support of Jimmy Swaggert Ministries and got involved in that affair. So much for not having anything to do with the so called 'Babylon The Great'!

Outaservice

• blondie
    blondie

I was told by a JW that the donation arrangement is now worldwide.

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

funny you should bring this topic up.....I was just reading in Christian Freedom last night how the donation thing is only done in countries that can be taxed and those are the more affluent countries. I never knew this.

If the arrangement was really done to get literature out to deserving ones who needed it wouldn't it be more logical to have "free" literature in third world countries??????

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

WLG -

The impression that was given when they started this was that it was worldwide. Ray Franz says it is not worldwide, at least at the latest printing of ISoCF.

That may have changed. But knowing the society, would they have not made a significant effort to pat themselves on the back if it had changed?

And in view of the obvious reduction in sales lately, and the laying off of many Bethelites, I doubt they would shortchange themselves in the areas where it is not taxed.

I think they prob still charge a set price where they can.

Jeff

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

Anyone live in a country where Life's Waters are not free?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit