Scriptures to make a JW think?

by AlmostAtheist 37 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I'm looking for scriptures that you believe a doubting JW would read that would cause them to think a bit. I have four in mind now:

'Do not go beyond the things that are written.' - 1 Corinthians 4:6

'When anyone is replying a matter before he hears it, that is foolishness on his part and a humiliation' - Proverbs 18:13

'Make sure of all things.' - 1 Thessalonians 5:21

'Keep testing whether you are in the faith.' - 2 Corinthians 13:5

Do you know of others? I'm not looking so much for "proof texts" of any non-JW doctrine, or even necessarily "refutation texts" of pro-JW doctrine. (If you have one that you want to share, though, by all means do so.) I'm mainly looking for scriptural triggers that might get them thinking on their own a bit, or give them biblical permission TO think a bit.

The only hard limitation is that you don't get to explain the verse. So the verse has to stand on its own.

Four isn't enough, please give me more!

Dave

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Psalm 146:3 "Do not put your trust in nobles, Nor in the son of earthling man, to whom no salvation belongs."

1 John 4:1 "Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God, because many false prophets have gone forth into the world."

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Good ones!

I quoted from the New World Translation to make them feel more at ease. Is that a mistake? They could easily read a familiar verse without having any clue what it actually said.

Maybe I should quote from the NIV?

Any thoughts?

Dave

• kid-A
    kid-A

Is it possible to make a JW think???

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

1 Peter 3:18-20

18 Why, even Christ died once for all time concerning sins, a righteous [person] for unrighteous ones, that he might lead YOU to God, he being put to death in the flesh, but being made alive in the spirit. 19 In this [state] also he went his way and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who had once been disobedient when the patience of God was waiting in Noah’s days, while the ark was being constructed, in which a few people, that is, eight souls, were carried safely through the water.

In light of the above scripture, my questions would be:

1. When did Jesus preach to these "spirits in prison"? While his body was in the tomb or afterward?
    2. Who were these spirits?
    3. What is this "prison"?
    4. If these "spirits" are demons and they are in "prison" how is it they can leave this "prison" in order to "mislead the entire inhabited earth"? Do they get day passes?
    5. What was Jesus preaching to them? Was he offering them a hope? Or was he merely gloating over them?

W

• jgnat
    jgnat

1. The Parable of the Prodigal son. http://www.web-ministry.com/religious/parables/prodigalson/ How long did reinstatement take?

2. Jesus speaking to the ancients on the mount. Were they ghosts, pre-reconstituted beings, visions? Matthew 17:1-9

3. Who is on the throne? Who is the Alpha and Omega. Revelation 21:1-6. The reasoning book suggests there are so many speakers, it's impossible to disentangle who is speaking from one sentence to the next. Can we spell E X C U S E S boys and girls?

4. The theif on the cross, "Today you will be with me in paradise." Explain to me again how Jesus was speaking "figuratively" there? Luke 23:43

5. The parable of the good Samaritan. Luke 10:25-37. Why did the good man only provide material help when spiritual education is the more worthy gift?

• jgnat
    jgnat

The bereans were commended of double-checking Paul's message before accepting it. Acts 17:11. What would Paul have done if they had found him in error?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

kid-A,

Were you ever a JW? Most of us posters were. It is possible, just highly unlikely in any specific case.

Dave,

2 Corinthians 4:1, 2

Philippians 1:8-11

Ephesians 5:15-17

AuldSoul

• Ellie
    Ellie

I don't know which scripture it is or even how it goes exactly, but there is one about after we die we become like angels in heaven, well I asked a sister what that meant and she didn't know, she said we would have to wait for new light.

• jgnat
    jgnat

The entire book of Ecclesiates. Though I doubt today's Watchtower leaders would recommend a similar pattern of wisdom acquisition.

All the JW's ever quote out of that darn book is the futility of life, and never in context.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit