Why would God need worship?

by Vormek2.8 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Vormek2.8
    Vormek2.8

Why would an all knowing master of space and time feel the irrepressible need to be adored by mere insects (relatively speaking), and indeed punish them in the most absolute of terms if they fail in this task? Indeed it makes God seem very human, although rather immaturely so. We expect such behavior from schoolyard bullies, megalomaniac dictators and small children who demand adoration from their beaten dogs. One might think that God would be held to a somewhat higher standard. And yet this is exactly what the Judeo/Christian version of God would have us expect of Him.

I suppose I can understand that primitive peoples facing starvation after seeing their hard earned crops devoured by locusts might see the universe as a cruel game played by a vengeful deity exacting revenge for a perceived slight, say not enough virgins sacrificed last year. I suppose that one can look at the world today and still assume that a megalomaniac God is playing with us like the brat with his abused pet. Perhaps thats the only kind of God that would fit the facts e.g. the Holocaust, Central Africa, etc., etc., the only other possibility being random chance (which we might expect to be cruel).

I suppose there is no reason why a God might not be that spoiled brat version of God, as much as any other. If God exists then He is God and His nature is His nature and thats that. I also suppose that if I were to become convinced that such a God exists I would chose to worship Him rather that suffer the imponderable consequences. I would become like Doestoyevskys atheist philosopher who dies and suddenly finds himself on the other side, defying his expectations. He is given the option of walking a trillion trillion miles to heaven or sit for eternity in nothingness. He spends a thousand years sitting, out of principle, but then gets up a starts walking. What choice does he really have after all? Yet I find myself unable to believe in such a God, it just seems silly. Personally its easier for me to believe that the hammer fell on my head by random chance than that a spoiled brat did it.

• Legolas
    Legolas

Welcome to the board!

• Scully
    Scully

Hi there, and welcome!

I asked the same question you did quite some time ago: Why does God need to be worshiped?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Why indeed. Many people liken god to a parent, yet only the most twisted, egomaniacal parent would expect worship from it's kids on pain of death.

S

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

he is insecure. That is the only reason I have ever come up with(if there were a god). It is a good question. The real reason of course, is that God was invented by men who used it as a way to explain things they couldn't, which was then pushed by wise men, priests, holy men as a control issue and then to get worship for themselves cuz only they could communicate with God.

• JAVA
    JAVA

Welcome to the JWD!

If there is a god, and if he/she is weak and in need of adulation, I guess that could be the answer to the question. Perhaps there are humans who have the need to be worshiped, thus the creation of religious leaders.

• Zep
    Zep

dun know

depends what worship is? If worship = loyalty, then I can sort of understand. But then again i dont really get a God who needs people to go kill animals and put them on an altar etc etc. Thats a crazy kind of loyalty for me. But, u know, rituals and symbols can powerful things I believe. Maybe God demands worship for our own benefit and not for his. I'm a non-believer anyaway, so i dont care

• Sheepish
    Sheepish

Good question. There's lots to answer. First, you gotta stop thinking of God in human terms. The very definition of The Almighty God, The Eternal, Omniscient Creator reveals at the very minimum He knows more than we do, that understanding His complete intelligence is above us-the created. The Bible's explanation is He created us (not the other way around) , and He put in us His attributes. He created us to be in fellowship with Him & with a strong spiritual sense. A need to worship something.It's true all over the world for all of history!

We tend to be transformed by/into what we worship. Our highest acheivement would be to be like Him- in Love, mercy & grace (undeserved kindness). I think the problem comes when people make a judgement based on some Bible stories, or a sermon, or a religion about who He is without finding out for themselves.The context, the understanding.It's a mystical thing in that only those who are truly seeking will understand it. It's like how freaked out some of Jesus followers got when he said "This means my body-eat, this my blood-drink"(paraphrase mine) They rushed to a conclusion and left before they understood!

Jesus is God incarnate, so for those who do not have the attention span or ability to make it through the old testament, with its playing out of the drama that is human existence (it does take a lot of effort) I recommend the red letters in the New Testament. You will find out who he really is, and why people want to worship him. Fear may bring you to consider Him, but those who really have a relationship with Him do it out of love. Perfect love casts out fear.

I'll stop there for now and wait for the dogpile.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    I'll stop there for now and wait for the dogpile.

Hee, hee!

I appreciate the diversity of beliefs on JWD. And there's really no way to refute the "God knows more than you do, and that's why it's ok" argument. I personally reject it, but on what basis? I don't know. Just doesn't sit right with me, doesn't fit with the other evidence. But direct refutation? I don't think it's possible.

Dave

• free2beme
    free2beme

Because religion is big business!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit