Rapture...Help needed to explain.

by Little Bo Peep 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Little Bo Peep
    Little Bo Peep

Recently my daughter-in-law asked me about the "rapture". Her employer has scared her with thoughts of driving along the highway and taken to heaven, leaving an empty car...accidents...etc, etc.

I looked up the scriptures referenced in the NIV, but don't quite know how to answer her. I'm pretty sure that explanation is not logical, at least to me. Could someone help with some answers, or at least some other possible explanations? Perhaps this is one of those things, we'll just have to "wait and see"!

Thanks, Little Bo Peep

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

wow. what a head trip man.

hmmm.... you could tell her that there is a 99.99999999999999999999% chance that the rapture will NEVER happen, and perhaps this will help ease her fears of traffic accidents should jebus choose to take her to heaven, and leave her car hurtling down the hiway towards a school bus full of children, he he he....

you know? that the chances of her being the reincarnated buddha are better than the rapture happening. man, sometimes i wonder why i bother.

take care,

TS

• Ms. Whip
    Ms. Whip

Hi Little Bo Peep,

...apart from a few songs that popped into my head ..."going up to the spirit in the sky..." and blondie's rap debut to name a couple. I really don't know much about the rapture.

Witnesses don't teach it or believe it. Well, they once did, but now they don't.

99.8% of witnesses don't have to worry about the "rapture" because they are non-anointed so the word doesn't apply to them.

The rapture is a touchy subject. It makes an atheist sigh in boredom and a born-again's blood bubble over in orgasm.

There's lots of debate online about it.

Basically, it's about god picking a few people out (literally) and saying they should live while the rest of the world dies.

...anyway, if you do get caught up in the rapture,

can i have all your stuff?

(lame ole joke, but couldn't resist)

good luck w/the answers

ps. if someone is scaring you into religion run the other way

• ballistic
    ballistic

Happy Birthday and new year miss whip!

• Ms. Whip
    Ms. Whip
    Happy Birthday and new year miss whip! -ballistic

why mr. ballistic, i do feel a good birthday spankin is in order. alt in honor of this thread... try to aim for my "left behind" oh gawd, i'm soooo corney.

• ballistic
    ballistic

"ouch"....

"ouch again"...

you know I'm sweet and innocent really don't you.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The basic idea was contrived to defuse the concerns that the Messianic age had not arrived after a few decades. Paul (or writer pretending to be Paul) was telling them that they the then living christaians would live to see the Christ return. Those that had already died were going to be instantaneously resurrected at any time. Since it did not happen later christians reinterpreted the words reading a great deal into the words that was not intended.

Matt 24 (Luke later harmonized) was not about a rapture. Being "taken" meant being killed not raptured. It was reinterpreted by rapture enthusiats and strangely the WT folks drew its own spin from this basic misreading.

I'll elaborate if needed.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

another interesting bit:Two in bed

• oldflame
    oldflame

New world dictionary say's (Rapture) 1: the state of being carried away with joy, love etc...2:the state of great joy or pleasure 3: a carrying away of the body or spirit. also say's in some christian theologies the bodily ascent into heaven just before Armageddon of those who are saved.

Revelations speaks of the second coming of Christ, "he comes on the clouds with the dead that are saved to collect those who are still alive who are saved."

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Oldflame, there is no such description in Revelation. There are number of passages which speak of souls going to heaven but it is only throught he lens of the Pauline rapture doctrine that these can be so interterpreted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit