My problem w/ evolution vs. creationism

by TallTexan 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• zagor
    zagor
    more then 83% of all people in saoudi arabia believe in Allah, so should that be thought as a scientific fact in America?

An exclusive survey conducted for American Demographics by research firm Market Facts, indicates only 44 percent of us are willing to admit that we're superstitious. The remaining 56 percent are "optimistically superstitious," meaning we're more willing to believe the good over the bad.

Maybe superstition should be tought in schools as an exact subject, as an alternative for math, physics and chemistry.

p.s. cnn as communists? Somebody does not live in the real world (and age)! They are pretty right wing..... But if you don't like them i can recomment Al Jazeera

LMAO, love your post as always DB, take care

• zagor
    zagor
    Here's my problem. Why is it that my children (or anyone's for that matter) HAVE to be taught evolution when there are more holes in the evolutionary theory then in a block of swiss cheese. There is no absolute proof of evolution. According to Communist News Network, uh, I mean, CNN poll, 83% of Americans believe in either creationism OR intelligent design. So why should our children be taught something that less than 20% of the country actually believes?

I would imagine that at least 83% (or more) of Americans (or Australian, or Brits or Germans or ...) haven't got a Fu$ken clue about maths either. And most of them can live quite comfortably without it. Does that means it shouldn't be taught in schools either???!!!???

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    Let me put it another way. Let's say that 80% of a group believe the sky is blue, while 20% believe the sky is red. Let's say they live underground and can't prove either theory, but they both have persuasive arguments, faith, etc. What right do the 'red-skyers' have to teach ONLY the theory that the sky is red, even though they are in the vast minority? If they control the teaching environment, then they will achieve their goal of convincing ALL their pupils that the sky is red over a given period of time.

Consider then also that they have developed a spectrometer, and brought it to the surface. Then the wavelength of the incomming light turned out to be around 700 nanometers. Then your anology would be more correct.

As in your example there is not a single reason for them to believe that the sky is blue, but still they do...

The same with evolution. Regardless of your personal disdain of the 'creation' theory, teaching ONLY evolution, without discussing the obvious holes in the theory, will convince an entire generation of children that evolution occurred. They will be convinced without having all the facts at their disposal. Sound familiar? Can you say WT?

The have lessons in theology or something like that on schools? Is that not the time.

And why only the certian view. Should Americans not be forced to be educated in the koran, the teachings of bouddha etc?

By the way, why do the bibles in the states not come with the warning:

"This book is fictional contains voilence and sexual explicit scenes, and can be harmfull and dangerous to people who can not make the distingtion between fiction and fact"

If they do that, then maybe we can think about teaching ID on schools as an alternative.

• TallTexan
    TallTexan
    As in your example there is not a single reason for them to believe that the sky is blue, but still they do...

Again, you are acting as if the teaching of evolution is the OBVIOUSLY clear choice, that it is proven fact with NO dissention. It is not....If it were proven beyond a reasonable doubt, then a) 80% of the country wouldn't still believe in something other than evolution, b) teaching it in schools would not be an issue. Evolution is taught as proven science when it is anything but that....

The have lessons in theology or something like that on schools? Is that not the time.

Uh...no. God, theology, etc cannot be mentioned in public schools. You can swear in school, but you can't say "God" or pray.

Ans why only the chirtian view. Should Americans not be forced to be educated in the koran, the teachings of bouddha etc?
    Ummm...perhaps because this is a vastly predominently Christian nation....so no, they shouldn't be forced to. This is what cracks me up...things DON'T HAVE TO BE FAIR! This is a democracy - majority rules!
  • zagor
    zagor
    Again, you are acting as if the teaching of evolution is the OBVIOUSLY clear choice, that it is proven fact with NO dissention. It is not....If it were proven beyond a reasonable doubt, then a) 80% of the country wouldn't still believe in something other than evolution, b) teaching it in schools would not be an issue. Evolution is taught as proven science when it is anything but that....

That is a wrong assertion; if you look into your history books you'll see very few cases when majority of people had right view of things. In dark ages majority believed inquisition was necessary to root out witches, majority believed earth was flat, etc. It was always minority of people who had special knowledge of anything more advanced not majority.
    So I guess what you are saying is that people like Galileo, Newton and others should have complied with majority of idiots around them, correct?

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    Again, you are acting as if the teaching of evolution is the OBVIOUSLY clear choice, that it is proven fact with NO dissention. It is not....If it were proven beyond a reasonable doubt, then a) 80% of the country wouldn't still believe in something other than evolution, ;b) teaching it in schools would not be an issue. ;Evolution is taught as proven science when it is anything but that....

It is a proven science. That not everything is understood about it and not all details are clear does not mean that it is not a fact!
    That 80% believes in it, does not say anything about the how scientifi it is. It only tells us that there is that country is going to need a lot more education.
    how many americans do believe in UFO's? How many american's believe that Elvis is still alive? etc.

Uh...no. God, theology, etc cannot be mentioned in public schools. You can swear in school, but you can't say "God" or pray.

Here we can have some religious subjects. They are thought differently then science and not in the same lessons. They usually involve the religious views of the major religions in the world, with some biblical history etc. They are not too serious, and in the same catagory of drawing, phylosophy etc.

Ummm...perhaps because this is a vastly predominently Christian nation....so no, they shouldn't be forced to. This is what cracks me up...things DON'T HAVE TO BE FAIR! ; This is a democracy - majority rules!

You only think that majority rules. You can be glad that they don't. Majority is too stupid to rule.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

TallTexan:

Again, you are acting as if the teaching of evolution is the OBVIOUSLY clear choice, that it is proven fact with NO dissention. It is not....

It is a proven and observable fact. There is dissension but there is dissension (albeit rare) over whether the earth is round. It remains a fact.

If it were proven beyond a reasonable doubt, then a) 80% of the country wouldn't still believe in something other than evolution,

Why is your country the only one where that is the case? Are you in possession of information unavailable to the people of Canada, Europe, Australia and Japan? Facts are not decided by majority vote.

b) teaching it in schools would not be an issue.

It is an issue because it threatens the belief system of fundamentalist Christians.

Evolution is taught as proven science when it is anything but that....

You can continue to assert that, but it is still untrue.

Ummm...perhaps because this is a vastly predominently Christian nation....so no, they shouldn't be forced to. This is what cracks me up...things DON'T HAVE TO BE FAIR! ; This is a democracy - majority rules!

Actually you live in a republic with a constitution and a bill of rights. So things do have to be fair. The tyranny of the majority is no more acceptable in the US than in the Middle East.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

greendawn:

Derek where was evolution ever observed in our present time, either at the microscopic or macroscopic level?

See http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html for numerous documented modern examples of speciation ("macroevolution").

• zagor
    zagor

...and to tell you this, had every scholar or scientist complied with the view of majority, you wouldn't be sitting by your computer today not would you have electricity. You'd probably have oil lamp and would be chiseling away on clay tablets and that if you knew to write, as it would be privilege only of an elite class, not of the majority again. lol

• TallTexan
    TallTexan
    It is a proven and observable fact.

Really? Guess I have failed to see any species, nor pictures of any species, nor drawings of any species in mid-evolutionary cycle. How is it proven? How is it observable?

It is an issue because it threatens the belief system of fundamentalist Christians.

Exactly. I don't want my child taught evolution the same as an atheist doesn't want their child taught creationism or taught in a 'god-oriented' environment. Yet, they have that right, but I don't, even though my beliefs are in the majority. Why are my rights not as important?

Evolution is taught as proven science when it is anything but that....

You can continue to assert that, but it is still untrue.

Really? Prove it unequivocably and maybe I'll believe it.

Actually you live in a republic with a constitution and a bill of rights. So things do have to be fair. The tyranny of the majority is no more acceptable in the US than in the Middle East.
    I don't consider giving equal time to something that 80% of the population believes to be true could in any realm be constituted as 'tyranny'.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit