My problem w/ evolution vs. creationism

by TallTexan 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

I personally don't care what anyone else believes. I believe that there is a creator that created the heavens and earth. I believe that it occurred over a period much longer than 7 literal days.

Here's my problem. Why is it that my children (or anyone's for that matter) HAVE to be taught evolution when there are more holes in the evolutionary theory then in a block of swiss cheese. There is no absolute proof of evolution. According to Communist News Network, uh, I mean, CNN poll, 83% of Americans believe in either creationism OR intelligent design. So why should our children be taught something that less than 20% of the country actually believes?

Oh, I know why. Because a bunch of left-wing Karl Marx wanna-bees control the education system.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Do you think 80% understand calculus? Or basic chemistry?

If kids are exposed to what evolution actually is, they can decide for themselves later if they believe it or not. If they are never exposed to it -- save for simply hearing it derided in their church literature -- they'll never have any basis for believing it or not.

It's the rare creationist that actually understands what it is that he doesn't believe.

Dave

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

Hey Tex,

I am still waiting for a reply at the scandals forum. lets discuss this further. I am willing to learn. Lets race somemore

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

It is true that a growing number of Americans are turning to Fundementalism, much like what is happening in the Arab world. In both cases the decline in education and interest in the sciences is having its fruitage.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

TallTexan:

Here's my problem. Why is it that my children (or anyone's for that matter) HAVE to be taught evolution when there are more holes in the evolutionary theory then in a block of swiss cheese.

There are no such holes. As in any branch of science, there are gaps and there are controversies but the basic theory is rock solid. Children need to be taught it because it is the cornerstone of modern biology. Without evolution, biology is just a list of unrelated data.

There is no absolute proof of evolution.

There is. It has been observed in the real world and under laboratory conditions. I fully concede there is no "absolute proof" that it happened in the past, just overwhelming evidence from a variety of sources.

According to Communist News Network, uh, I mean, CNN poll, 83% of Americans believe in either creationism OR intelligent design. So why should our children be taught something that less than 20% of the country actually believes?

Because it's a fact. A similar number of Americans can't locate Afghanistan on a map. It doesn't stop it existing, and it certainly doesn't mean you should stop teaching geography. Quite the opposite. Such embarrassingly widespread ignorance can only be combatted by education.

Oh, I know why. Because a bunch of left-wing Karl Marx wanna-bees control the education system.

How peculiar that you would think such a thing. The USA is probably the only "Western" country where a significant proportion of people deny the observable reality of evolution. In reality, many school boards in your country seem to be controlled by fundamentalist Christians who have used all manner of nefarious techniques to prevent evolution being taught properly and to try to sneak their own religious dogma into science classes.

• zagor
    zagor

LOL, these threads are like mushrooms after rain

• shark attack
    shark attack

we all know god planted the evoltionary evidence to test your faith

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    According to Communist News Network, uh, I mean, CNN poll, 83% of Americans believe in either creationism OR intelligent design. So why should our children be taught something that less than 20% of the country actually believes?

more then 83% of all people in saoudi arabia believe in Allah, so should that be thought as a scientific fact in America?

An exclusive survey conducted for American Demographics by research firm Market Facts, indicates only 44 percent of us are willing to admit that we're superstitious. The remaining 56 percent are "optimistically superstitious," meaning we're more willing to believe the good over the bad.

Maybe superstition should be tought in schools as an exact subject, as an alternative for math, physics and chemistry.

p.s. cnn as communists? Somebody does not live in the real world (and age)! They are pretty right wing..... But if you don't like them i can recomment Al Jazeera

• greendawn
    greendawn

Derek where was evolution ever observed in our present time, either at the microscopic or macroscopic level?

• TallTexan
    TallTexan
    It's the rare creationist that actually understands what it is that he doesn't believe.

Not true. I do understand it, which is why I don't believe it.

Regardless, my point is not to debate my beliefs, or anyone else's. Nor am I foolish enough to believe that there is 'proof' of creationism either. I understand that creationism requires faith.

However, evolution requires huge leaps over the holes in the scientific 'evidence'. Contrary to the posts following my posts, there is NOT irrefutable proof of evolution. There are many theories, and there is as much disagreement in the scientific community as there is between evolutionists and creationists. If it were SO obvious, then there would be no disagreements.

And comparing it to 'understanding' math and calculus or finding Africa on a map are absolutely ludicrous. Toddlers don't know how to read either until they go to school. Just because someone can't find Africa on a map doesn't mean they argue it's existence. Just because someone can't do calculus doesn't mean they don't believe that it CAN be done. These are subjects that are proven concepts - calculus is proven - Africa DOES exist.

However, when 80% of a population doesn't believe in a concept, why should the 20% minority insist that their children be taught that concept as the ONLY theory. That's what I have a problem with, is that it's taught as the ONLY theory with no mention even being allowed of creation or even intelligent design.

Let me put it another way. Let's say that 80% of a group believe the sky is blue, while 20% believe the sky is red. Let's say they live underground and can't prove either theory, but they both have persuasive arguments, faith, etc. What right do the 'red-skyers' have to teach ONLY the theory that the sky is red, even though they are in the vast minority? If they control the teaching environment, then they will achieve their goal of convincing ALL their pupils that the sky is red over a given period of time.

The same with evolution. Regardless of your personal disdain of the 'creation' theory, teaching ONLY evolution, without discussing the obvious holes in the theory, will convince an entire generation of children that evolution occurred. They will be convinced without having all the facts at their disposal. Sound familiar? Can you say WT?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit