Real evangelism powered by the Holy Spirit

by Shining One 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

James:
    I'm not contradicting what you've already written, but is it possible that such a "God" could also withdraw from a portion of this universe, at will? God's big enough to be able to do that, right?

• gumby
    gumby

Chris Rock must also be empowered by the holy spirit. I saw him do standup last night and had it not been for his message (comedy).....you wouldn't have been able to tell his theatrics from a supposed spirit directed southern baptist preacher from the deep south...............no joke!

Gumby

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Ross:

is it possible that such a "God" could also withdraw from a portion of this universe, at will? God's big enough to be able to do that, right?

The God we create within the mind is limited to space and time, as is everything within thought. Indeed mentally we can imagine a god which can withdraw to a place or portion of the universe outside of where it resides, as the god of the mind is nothing more than a piece or fragment within the universe. A shard of existence .

What I am referring to has no beginning, and no end. It, is what all universe reside within. It, is Existence and non-existence itself. There is no place it is not. It is everything, and it is no thing. It is our foundational self. It is everything's actual Identity.

Notice, dear Ross, how our belief in cherished deities motivates the mind to want to tenaciously limit what the word G-O-D points to, and place it somewhere other than where we are. Observe how the mind desires to make one point in the universe brighter than all else. See how such mental gymnastics dims or subtracts Divinity everywhere but our little point. And the mind does this minimizing and reductionism in the beliefs it is honoring God. How does belittling our Source, honor it? Why elevate and honor a false image engraved within the mind?

As you say, religion can be a stepping stone; but how many Christians do you know that are willing to surrender their little Jesus, that they may move forward?

If Jesus existed, I would be the first to admit he was God; but no more or less than you.

j

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

So God is unable to not be somewhere. God is limited to having to be everywhere.

Is that what you just said?

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Thanks for your questions, Ross.

So God is unable to not be somewhere. God is limited to having to be everywhere.

Is that what you just said?

No, that's not what I am saying (though I certainly understand why it may seem that way).

We likely are discussing apples and oranges. I think the problem we are having here Ross, is it seems you are seeing through the veil of Christian beliefs and speaking as if our Source is a time and space creature or thing, so that concepts like "somewhere" and "everywhere" come into play. What I am pointing to is what all time and space exist within.

Your questions regarding location (being in some specific place, or not being in some specific place) are only viable within duality, when discussing circumscribed objects in space, so that there is reference points. What I am feebly attempting to express is that which is unending and non-duel. Nonduel, in that there is no space, no other place, for our Source to be; for IT is all there is, and all there will ever be, for IT is Beingness itself.

The finite-mind can not grasp our foundational truth, that which is nondual infinity. This is why it is so very important to be still of all mental thought, beliefs and interpretations, and rely solely on formless conscious-awarness to awaken to it's real purity and boundless nature.

You and I could throw words around forever, and never in all that time, come to any significant understanding of our real Identity. You just can't get there from the mind. That said, intellectualizing is not a bad thing, it may be necessary that the mind may reach a point of finally comprehending that it is inadequate for this job, and so shuts up.

j

• Shining One
    Shining One

Hi LT,
    Whatever do you mean?
    Rex

• Shining One
    Shining One

Hi J.T.,
    Can you really be a believer if your primary reason for believing is to avoid separation from God? Also, the Witnesses do not teach valid Biblical doctrine. If you express belief in the Bible then you accept what it teaches. The death or sleep of the soul is not a valid teaching.
    FEAR is what in Biblical terms? Endorsement of the values of your creator; repect of His divine attributes in totality. Every human being has a choice of eternity, smoking or non.
    Rex

• Shining One
    Shining One

For those who ignored the content of the article:

Among the testimonies the church shared with Baptist Press was one from Denise Boykin.

“Before I accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Savior, my life was one disaster after another,” she said. “I was feeling hopeless, worthless and lonely. My life was total confusion. In all this confusion and chaos, I tried to take my own life. But Jesus had plans for me and He gave me a second chance. A friend invited me to Englewood Baptist Church. She also invited me to a support group called ‘Conquerors’ [at the church].
    “Jesus opened my eyes,” Boykin continued. “He got my attention, and that’s when I realized it was time to completely turn my life over to Him. It is an awesome feeling to know Jesus was seeking me so strongly at a time I needed Him so desperately. I can never thank Him enough for saving me and placing such wonderful people in my life.”

Another testimony of God’s grace came from Stew Sherrick.

“Even though I had been raised in a Christian, loving environment, several years ago I went through a period in my life where I was not sure I believed in the existence of God,” he said. “Driving home one afternoon, God spoke to my heart in a way that was so clear and unmistakable that there was suddenly no doubt of His existence. I knew that I desperately needed Him.
    “In what could only be explained as a Father’s unconditional and all-knowing love, I accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior and He formed a bond with me that would help me through a series of life changing events,” Sherrick added. “People often asked me how I could manage, but the answer was always clear to me: It was only through God’s loving grace. Though I don’t understand why, He continues to bless me -- through my boys, special friends and through unmistakable signs that He is listening and cares for me. While it’s been a long, painful journey, the knowledge that God is in control of my life has brought me to a place of comfort, happiness and peace.”
    While anyone might suspect the preaching at the church is a major factor in whether people accept an invitation to choose Christ, Cloer insists he is not the one responsible for so many changed lives.
    “I don’t think I’m any different than anyone else. We always make an appeal at every message. [During] everything we do at Englewood, we give an invitation, and we’re intentional about it,” he said. “At every event -- if we have a sportsmen’s event or a ladies’ event, sports programs, anything -- everything is geared toward intentional evangelism where we give an invitation and ask people to make a commitment. It’s not a written rule, it’s just the culture here that everything we do we give an invitation.”
    And as long as Englewood members keep inviting and God keeps working, they’re likely to play a large role in Welch’s attempt to see 1 million baptisms across the convention by next October.

From Rex: This is a typical set of testimonies: I have never heard anyone say that they became a Christian to avoid hellfire (whatever that entailes). It is not clear what exactly that means. Hell has been described in many ways but the bottom line is it is a separation from God for eternity. MY own feeling is an overwhelming gratitude that the savior died in my place that I may have eternal life! He loved me before I learned of His love for me. I don't have to earn it in any way but I do have responsibility to be obedient to Him. I am satisfied. I know He is there. He lives within me and my obedience enables Him to work through me to benefit others that cross my path.
    Rex

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Rex:

Hi J.T.,

Can you really be a believer if your primary reason for believing is to avoid separation from God? Also, the Witnesses do not teach valid Biblical doctrine. If you express belief in the Bible then you accept what it teaches. The death or sleep of the soul is not a valid teaching.

First, I'm not a "believer". But if i still believed I wouldn't believe in a god so dinky and limited as to be able to be "separate from", as you seem to. Second, I could not care less what the Witnesses teach or what the Bible says. As I said, I'm not interested in tiny man-gods and needy little deities.

When the mind and all it's make-believe ramblings and beliefs of a self in need of a god, are silent and still, and there is instead a naked and open meeting with the reality and actuality of conscious being and life within, there is no need for scriptures, beliefs, or gods. It's no about fairy-tales, hopes and beliefs, it's about reality, actuality and truth. Which is right here, right now.

j

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Every human being has a choice of eternity, smoking or non

Ah yes, a classic example of the corny bumper-sticker Christianity that is all the rage in these parts. Oh how I love living in Ohio - not

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit