Dinner with College Professor

by RichieRich 23 Replies latest jw friends

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I went to the Circuit Assembly last weekend. We went up Friday, so we could have some time to chill before the Assembly Saturday and Sunday.

Our "Christian Convoy" happened to include a very nice family that is new to our congregation. The husband has only been in the (funny I almost typed "truth") Borg for 3 years or so. The Husband is a retired college professor of 32 years. His area of expertise: Family Law.

He seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and there are twinges of light that suggest that perhaps he isn't 100% buying what hes being sold by the society.

We went to dinner together, and I made sure I seated myself across from him. As the women's conversation drifted off into gossip and field service experiences, I turned to this brother and said:

"What's your opinion on the Society discouraging witnesses from going to college?"

It was apparent that in his mind, some wheels were turning.

He attempted to preface his response by saying that the Society is merely encouraging people to pioneer, not discouragin college attendance.

I responded by saying that I had it on the highest authority that at the recent KM School, the elders were encouraged to seek out those planning to attend college, and encourage them instead to seek out some full time service.

He became visibly angry, and began commenting on the disadvantages of having six million dumb as a rock followers.

At this point, the entire table was enveloped in our conversation.

My mother jumped in and asked was he going to allow his daughter (age 12, and really sweet) to go to college.

His response:

"the only question is:does she want to stop with her Master's, or go for her Ph. D.?"

He then told of situation where a PO had just earned his Ph.D., and now, 2 years later, was telling his son that he would not allow him to go to college.

He turned to my mother, and told her that the Watchtower depiction of college life was nothing short of a lie. No one is walking around naked waiting to fall on you, or shoving beer down your throat. People have their own lives, and what they do is purely their choice. So the worst case scenario presented to world-weary parents is really a misrepresentation of reality.

The conversation managed to fade to a different topic, as several people were verging on free-thought, and their bible-trained consciences were kicking in.

But it was good to know that I'm not alone.

• Dune
    Dune

Lol, too bad i dont have any college professors in our area. However, i think i'll be stopping at a BA.

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

How brave of you to bring that up Richie. Just wondering are you baptized?

I was like you at 17. Oh, those days are long behind me. Ah, yes, 5 years ago I was at a different time-when missing your favorite T.V show didn't involve being able to TiVo it and the Hilton Hotel was still just that-a hotel.

Anyways, I commend you for being able to speak up like that- I used to almost piss in my panties whenever I would try to start a converstation like that with anyone in my hall- (well let's just say "almost" happend once)

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

DAMM, nice discussion.

This recent idiot's mission they are on is CRIMINAL.

They are guaranteeing that the next generation of witnesses will have 3rd world incomes.

STUPID, SHORTSIGHTED, CRIMINAL, DISHONEST.

• horrible life
    horrible life

How refreshing!!!

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    Just wondering are you baptized?

Yes, for about a year and a half .

Anyways, I commend you for being able to speak up like that-

You can thank the society for that. TMS, field service, Judicial Committees, I can say anything to anybody and really own it. And I can tie a tie.

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

How many judicial committees have you been through? I spoke up about questions on old teachings like the organ transplant rule and the flip flop on rape victims who scream and was interrogated through 3 elders meetings within a month.

I figured I was done fighting and having to sit there and listen to their drivel about my "independant thinking" Now I figure I'm through debating with them. It always left me drained.

You never feel like that? But I guess you're still young and at the beggining stages of it all. Give it a year.

• zagor
    zagor
    No one is walking around naked waiting to fall on you, or shoving beer down your throat.

LMAO, If only it was that easy to get laid while you are a mere student, I'd imagine it's much easier to do in congregations and social gatherings of j-dubs as so many experiences testify.
    So to all of you young lurkers reading this post: If that is your only concern (especially if you are a male, but regardless anyway) that somebody would drag you into the bed, rest assured it ain't gonna happen sex is not manna to fall from heaven as soon as you show up at college's door.

• zagor
    zagor

Just one personal experience. When I started studying some 10 years ago I used to prepare assignments with lots of female students many times long into the night, and apart from normal things nothing happened. In fact, I can truly say to you that many girls at college can be real mates, probably better than guys. On the other hand, at around the same time, or shortly before going to college I was afraid to go to "field service" with young horny sisters ('cause I didn't want to get dfd at the time) that is how easy it was to light the fire with many of them. So if you are thinking of going to college don't worry there's no sex for you unless you are true Casanova or Zoro type don't worry they aren't going to "rape" you. In fact, I think you'll pray to get some how hard it is going to be, lol.

• Generic Man
    Generic Man

Love the thread Richie and its nice to see you're up to your old tricks.

I know I'm not stopping with my two BAs. I'm going for my fucking Phd.

As for the supposed debauchery, that happens at the dorms (usually when a perty is going on). As for getting laid, I guess it depends on what college you go to. Here At UNCG, I can't even get a girl interested in me, let alone get laid. Of course, the society has to portray college in the worst manner possible. At least nobody is bitching to me about me attending college.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit