Holidays . . . the two ways to look at them for a Witness

by garybuss 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garybuss
    garybuss

Holidays . . . the two ways to look at them for a Witness

One, is celebration: That could mean ceremonies, rejoicing, having a Christmas tree, and decorate the home.

Two, is observation: That is what is done by Witnesses. Witnesses observe Christmas by talking about it, by accepting a day off work, by passively listening to Christmas music, by accepting bonuses and other gifts, by observing (viewing) the holiday, by studying it, by watching others observe it, and by abiding by terms of the holiday such as no postal service.

So . . . Witnesses can observe holidays like Christmas without sanctions. I observed Christmas all the time I was a Witness.

Observe 1. To be or become aware of, especially through careful and directed attention; notice.
    2. To watch attentively: observe a child's behavior.
    3. To make a systematic or scientific observation of: observe the orbit of the moon.
    4. To say casually; remark.
    5. To adhere to or abide by: observe the terms of a contract.

Celebrate 1. To observe (a day or event) with ceremonies of respect, festivity, or rejoicing.
    2. To perform (a religious ceremony): celebrate Mass.
    3. To extol or praise: a sonnet that celebrates love.

• Gopher
    Gopher

That's right, they only OBSERVE things. That's what the very word "witness" means, right? They only observe. They don't actually participate in anything meaningful.

• heathen
    heathen

I think they do more than observe it . They condemn the activity of celebrating it .They will actually remove people from the congregation over the actual taking part in the celebration. They attempt to educate people of it's origins and where the tradition came from . It's been thoroughly demonized .

• garybuss
    garybuss
    "CHRISTMAS, Easter, “saints’” days. Many holidays and feasts are celebrated by the churches of Christendom. But do you know how many celebrations Jesus Christ commanded his followers to observe? The answer is, Just one! None of the other feasts were authorized by the Founder of Christianity." (The Watchtower March 15, 1994 p.3)

This is my point. The Society says they do NOT observe holidays. I say and I can demonstrate how they DO observe all holidays.

Ask a Witness if they take the paid day off work at Christmas and New Years. Every one will say yes. THAT'S observing the holiday. If you do your homework, have the Watchtower quotes and a dictionary handy it could make for interesting conversation for those who are exposed to Witness group members by circumstances. :-)

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

I remember about 10 years ago when I (stupidly) came back in the "truth",they always had a congregation party at christmastime,often right on christmas day.i used to think to myself that the worldly people who rented these halls and those who saw us skating and going inside to eat and dance must have tought we were celebrating christmas as a church group.

New Year's also meant many small gatherings in private homes for drinks and watching the ball fall (NY times square I believe) at midnight.

Goldminer

• heathen
    heathen

Sounds like they created their own holiday , it's festivus for the rest of us . LOL

• scoobiedoo1
    scoobiedoo1
    Witnesses usually take advantage of holidays by using cheap air rates on airplanes,etc... I can see where they do make a point about Christmas being so commercial and where it has nothing to do with Jesus Christ for a lot of people! Santa Clause, really replaces Jesus Christ on Christmas! Kids are all excited about Santa and the gifts under the tree instead of the Birth of our Saviour! I know that its all in fun and no harm is meant but in reality what is really happening? I watched a film by Jeremiah films which I downloaded the other day on the true meaning of Chistmas and all its origin. It was quite interesting!
  • heathen
    heathen

Yah that guy at jerimiah films must be making a killing on those videos . I noticed the price range .

• garybuss
    garybuss

I got invited to some get togethers. There was a few of us who played country music and we'd get together and jam. After a short time I noticed that a number of the jam session players and listeners would have lots of other social stuff going on like breakfast pot lucks, and basketball games, I never once got invited to. It didn't set good.

Once I got invited to a Witness party at a home of a Witness who'd almost never spoken to me, let alone been social with me. Like a dummy I went to the party. When I got there the said "Where's your guitar?". Nobody told me to bring it. They insisted I go home and get it. One of em took me to be sure I'd come back. I ended up playing for their dance for 3 hours. I liked to play and it wasn't a deal breaker, it just didn't set good. I never got another invitation from that individual, nor would I have went if I had.

I started the tread because as I was driving past the Kingdom Hall, I was thinking about the difference between observing a holiday and celebrating the same holiday. I researched it a bit when I got home. I'm gonna help my wife do some shopping this week and clean up my shop, then I'm gonna start making a coffee table and some end tables, so I'll be distracted in a creative way. :-)

Last week I finished the fireplace surround I started right after Thanksgiving. It fit and it looks pretty good. I still have to make a mirror frame for the top section over the surround to cover the old wood stove chimney that was there.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Go past the witnesses around here on "pagan" holidays and they'll be woopping it up in the backyard pool - certainly not at work. I think that says it all for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit