JW Events, Dress Codes and You

by Mysterious 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

If you were to attend say a wedding or a funeral that was being held in the Kingdom Hall would you make an effort to be presentable according to JW standards or go as you are? (we aren't talking about violating codes of human decency here)

For example. Would you say a woman going to a funeral should have to wear a dress or a skirt? Would you cover up or take out excess (visible) piercings? Wear something to cover your non-conformist hair?

Or would you say #$*@ it I am who I am and I'm not here to bow to your petty wishes I'm here out of respect for <so and so/their family> whose <wedding/funeral> this is?

• Purza
    Purza

When I was a JW I would go to a funeral in the same clothes I would go to a meeting in. I think that dress code has stayed with me as I still go to funerals in a skirt and sweater/blouse, etc (whether it be in a KH or a funeral home). However, I would still wear normal jewelry and leave my hair as it normally is.

Purza

• Quentin
    Quentin

I attended my fathers funeral service wearing a pair of well oiled lace up Wolverines, jeans, plaid shirt and a nice khaki jacket. No longer being a J saw no need to conform to some standardized dress code. Besides, haven't owned a suit for years. No ties either...Didn't do it to be in their face, was there for my dad, not them.

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Good question but I am guessing its directed more towards ex-jws's right?

Well, I know me personally-the wedding I went to last week; I was real apprehensive about my low-cut top (although the twins were sitting pretty) and thought someone would say something. (Instead I got brothers forgetting that my eyes were straight ahead and not down at my chest.

As far as funerals? Isn't there some cardinal rule that one should NOT wear black since this would be a "wordly custom" that we should avoid. I would avoid black at all times even if it was part of the alfit just because of this rule. How ridiculous!

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I don't recall there being anything specifically against wearing black to funerals, though I know most here preferred to just wear dark colors. I would assume that most current JWs would be conforming to their dress code anyway and so would not face the same sort of conflict that an ex-JW would in the same circumstances.

Those that chose not to conform, did anyone say anything to you about it or were they too busy shunning to notice?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

no I would dress to a decent standard and show respect

• atypical
    atypical

I would try to wear something that flaunts jw standards and still shows respect for the occasion, if that's possible. Actually, to tell you the truth, I always dressed much better at funerals than I did at meetings. At meetings, I made a huge point to dress off the wall with loud plaid jackets, crazy shoes and ties, anything to break the gray suit/white shirt mold. When it came time for a funeral at the hall, I usually switched to a plain black suit (I still put on the two tone wingtips, though).

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

stillajwexelder, I just don't see how the organization deserves my respect. If you mean respect for the deceased I believe that I can do this in another way than conforming to JW standards, and after all the person is not going to be there to see it anyway. If you mean for the family I would think in their time of grieiving it would be the support I was offering rather than what I was wearing. I certainly was not meaning to dress disrespectfully. But in my mind there is a strong separation between respectful and JW extremes.

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

I would dress appropriately for the occasion, I do have a visible piercing, but then I had it when I used to attend meetings so that's not news to anyone! But I wouldn't wear a really short skirt or low cut top or anything because I feel it dissrespects their beliefs, just because I dont believe it anymore doesn't mean I dont respect those that still do.

As for funerals, it was generally accepted one didn't wear black.. how ridiculous, I always wear black to funerals, for one thing it's how I feel, and for another it shows respect to the relatives who are not Jws!

Poppy xx

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

I can't see me ever going to a kh funeral, I have no relatives in the borg and no close friends, but if it did happen I would dress respectfully.

Thinking about it, you'd have to drug me to get me in a kh anyway

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit