Suggestions, please re ``placing'' free COCs

by Room 215 17 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I don't have a suggestion but think Farkel's thoughts are worth considering. From what I have seen there is a lack of knowledge about the JWs among church-going folk. This may seem strange to JWs themselves who are constantly faced with 'exposure' of Christendom's actions. Church-goers are eager for knowledge on how to reach JWs with the real Gospel but lack the knowledge of what the JWs believe.
    COC and ISOCF are excellent reference works for the JW who is in the first 'doubting' stage. Theyy're also excellent for the church-goer seeking to reach the JWs with the Christian message. It re-inforces the suggestion to 'hit the organisation' and not engage in scripture tennis with the Witness..

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"Evil is the absence of empathy"
    Movie (2000), Nuremberg

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

I would send them to those witnesses who you really love and think have the most open minds. If sombody would have sent me a copy I would have read it. I can think of a few people that I have actually thought to buy a copy for and mail it tothier house with no return address.

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Room 215,

You might consider donating a copy or two, to a university that has a Department of Religious Studies. Send, or take a copy(s) directly to the Chairman of the RS department, and ask him to place one of them in the regular college/university library.

If you do donate to a church, maybe your best choices would be the larger, mainstream churches that tend to have university educated ministers.

And, theological schools associated with the mainstream religions might be another option.

I think you should, indeed, place them in public libraries - but be prepared as they are truly often checked-out, but never returned. This also happens frequently with anti-Mormon, Christian Science materials, too. Some would rather pay the replacement charge for the material, rather than have critical works about their religion on the shelves...or they simply steal them. Maybe you could hold some back; then if they 'disappear' you could offer a replacement copy.

In the past, I have also given a copy of COC to the Religion Editor/Reporter of local newspapers. One religion reporter I knew, then ordered several more copies to distribute to 'reverends/ministers' that he felt would have an interest.

• borgfree
    borgfree

Room 215,
    When I left the WT about 10 years ago I donated Ray Franz's books and several others to the library. They are still there and are checked out often. I have also been invited to several churches to present programs about the WT. In those I have used videos literature etc. and everything was appreciated by the churches. Maybe it is just our area but I think library's and churches are both places that would use them. Borgfree

• Room 215
    Room 215

To all respondents,
    Thanks much; you've provided a ton of excellent suggestions. If my efforts yield any interesting experiences with the book, I'll update you.
    Gratefully, Room 215

• mustang
    mustang

RM215,

I would recommend a split between the EBAY suggestion and the larger, school oriented church libraries. If you are concerned with the theft/sabotage issue, the JW's aren't supposed to hang out in those libraries, anyway. And I suspect they hold to that tenet, if they do violate others.

If you give the lions share to the EBAY scheme, you may be able to make it self-perpetuating, as suggested. That would allow even more copies to go the other method. Some re-orders could even come from the church library idea, as well. Whether handled by you or the publisher, somebody else would get the benefit of the message.

BTW, as an aside: I'll ask this here since you originated this thread.
    You may be more likely to see this one.

On the subject of the baptism that you responded to on Kent's post, you mentioned that the 'rebaptism' thought was mentioned at some assemblies. Are there any WT references to this? Please reply either here or there. I have both bookmarked.

Mustang

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hi Mustang,
    Thanks for your input. The ``rebaptism'' info, I'm sure, was published in the WT, sometime in the early sixties, I believe. Since I tossed all my bound volumes, I'm at a loss to help. Maybe someone who has a CD-Rom set might be able to research it... or theb, there's Maximus the Greybeard.
    While on the subject of WT CD-Roms, is it true that the Society does not warrant that they are identical to the origianl hard copies?
    All the best, Room 215 (124 building, Two North)

• Babykins
    Babykins

I just saw this thread and thought I would give a suggestion. As a JW child I loved to read. Anything. I even looked up some info on Religions in school, but there wasnt much on JWs. If COC was at the school library I probably would have read it and kept it from my parents. It sure would have saved me about 5 or 6 years of wasted life.

Babykins

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit