Suggestions, please re ``placing'' free COCs

by Room 215 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hi all,
    A friend and I have come across a quantity of Crisis of Conscience in like-new condition, both English and Italian editions. We're in a quandary as to how to make best use of them. We were thinking of donating them to the libraries or to perhaps cut a deal wth a local Christian book store. We're not asking for any money for them, but would like to put them to the best possible use... any suggestions? thanks

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

send it to me cuz i am to cheap to buy one

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Donate them to the libraries.

"By doubting we come at truth" -Cicero

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

I think that your idea of donating them to libraries is a good strategy. This will maximize their exposure to many JWs who could not openly order a copy for themselves.

Of course, there are reports of some JWs *stealing* these books from libraries believing that they are engaging in proper theocratic warfare. I don't see how this can be avoided.

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

The library is the best route. Yes, JWs will steal them and burn them, it's not against their conscience to steal, they don't have one.

BUT there is a way to help the situation. After donating the books, prepare an advertisement, make photocopies galore, and hang them on hooks at bus stops, phone booths, train stations, airports etc. ADVETISE THEM quickly!

In the advertisement, call it the most burned book and state that you need to take out and read the book quickly -before JWs steal and burn them.

Hype it up and it will be taken out by legitimate folks. If it's always out, then a dub can't steal it.

PS. Make the ad eye catchy and professional. IT WORKS!

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1
    The library is the best route. Yes, JWs will steal them and burn them, it's not against their conscience to steal, they don't have one

please dont generalize..it makes you no better than
    those who you protest...i would never steal

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Does "quantity" mean 25 or 250?

To get the books in the hands of people who actually are interested in reading them, I suggest "selling" them on Ebay. I occasionally check Ebay for COC, and I hardly ever see a copy for sale. Put in the ad that the copy is being "sold" for educational purposes and request that "resellers" not bid on such, as well as limit one copy per address. You could offer to "dropship" these anonymously to JW relatives.

I would establish a minimum price (maybe $7.50- retail is what-$12.00?) and use the proceeds to buy more and keep the chain going as long as possible, even if you later have to pay retail.

Donating them to libraries is too "iffy". Maybe they will make it to the shelves, maybe not. Maybe they will be read, maybe not. Maybe the library will delete them after a year, maybe not. Maybe they will be vandalized, etc., etc.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Room 215,

Aside from libraries, you might want to break them down into quantities of 5 or so, and send them to people like me. I would take a copy personally to each minister of a large local Church, and explain that this is the book that blows the lid off of the JW myth, and suggest that the minister read it and then discuss it with members of his/her Church, so that they could be informed the next time a dub stops by.

In otherwords, put it in CHURCH libraries, too, so "wordlings" can be armed with evidence. One never knows if a dub might "see the light" with an intelligent householder who calmly explains the insanity of the Mexico Cartilla/Malawi situation, or the fact that dubs believed for decades that the "Last Days" began in 1799!

I'm most intrigued with the notion of having Church-going householders knowing more about the JW religion than the JWs do!

Just a thought.

Farkel

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Farkel:

I can tell you from my own personal experience of trying something similar that run-of-the-mill "Ministers", who don't already have an anti-JW agenda for whatever reason, are very leary of ANY material about JWs, even ANTI material. Even ANTI books, such as COC, will have SOME comments which might get their parishioners "thinking" about subjects the "Minister" doesn't want them thinking about.

Yes, some books would be accepted, but most would never be cracked open, by the "Minister"(who already thinks he already knows everything he needs to know abou JWs) or by church members who would never be told the book was available.

Most churches do not have a very extensive library other than their "sunday school" materials. Those "libraries" you see in the "ministers" office are His, and leave with him when he transfers.

• joelbear
    joelbear

Professor Plum, with a Crisis of Conscience, in the Library.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit