Important Question regarding transfer of Quotes site to WTS

by inbyathread 17 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

Someone with more 'tech' knowledge needs to answer this for us.

The WT has current control of the quotes.watchtower.ca website. If they put something on it to forward requests to view to the 'real' WT site can they look at and trace back IP addresses to us.

If it is yes then the next thing we will see is the lawyers sending lawsuits to ISP's thru-out the country wanting the names of those individuals.

Or am I really paranoid on this one.

Let them come after me I really don't care at this point in time. But I would rather have this happen on my timeline and not theirs.

• gumby
    gumby
    Or am I really paranoid on this one.

Your really paranoid on this one.

Gumby

• VM44
    VM44

The only thing at Quotes website is a cgi-bin folder that you can't get into.

Why would that be the only thing left at the site?

Maybe people should be careful about visiting the old site as we don't know what is going on in that folder!

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

Index of /

NameLast modifiedSizeDescription
    Parent Directory 26-Nov-2005 22:45 - cgi-bin/ 06-Nov-2004 14:55 -

Apache/1.3.33 Server at quotes.watchtower.ca Port 80
  • VM44
    VM44

And if you try to go to the "cgi-bin" folder, you get this:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/ on this server.

Apache/1.3.33 Server at quotes.watchtower.ca Port 80
  • inbyathread
    inbyathread

I know I'm just paranoid about this stuff but if you look at the bottom left corner of your posts you will see an IP address. This particular address is coded so that I cannot find you. But I think that Simon could look for the REAL IP address if he wanted to and that is what I was talking about. Could the WTS read the IP addresses of hits to their site and if that hit was transfered from the old quotes site.

If there are knowledgeable people outthere writing worms and viruses to mess up my computer certainly there is a program or programmer that can find someone through an IP address trace. Not everyone is ready to battle the dragon.

On a side note is the latest quotes.cx site just experiencing an overload? the site times out for me.

• vomit
    vomit

Dont worry about it, even if they had an IP address they would need a court order to find out your info, I dont think any judge with give them that on religious grounds. Last I checked being "apostate" is not illegal.

• Quotes
    Quotes

Don't worry about the CGI folder, it is empty. I can't delete it.

As long as you see an empty folder, together with a non-accessible CGI folder, you are viewing the "original" quotes server (with all the files deleted). This means that either WTS has not done their homework to finalize the transfer of the domain, or they are simply waiting for the change to propagate.

Once the change has propagated, I assume you will see watchtower.org. Or perhaps they have some extra special campaign set up, so that you get something silly like:

"Beware: apostates had the domain until recently! If you read this site earlier, you should bleach your brain... even though it was all our stuff then too!

Once they have finalzed the domain transfer, and the changes have propagated, they will have access only to the same info they already have with watchtower.org: your IP address, and also the "referrer" (i.e. the web site you came from last, assuming you clicked a link to get there and didn't type it in the address bar or use a locally stored bookmark).

I wouldn't be too worried about it. Even if they could do something nasty, I don't think they're bright enough to execute it. I mean, they left "watchtower.ca" sitting on the shelf for me to pick up in November 2000. And I started my Quotes site in 1997, and it took them to 2005 to come after me.

These are not the sharpest knifes in the drawer... but the pictures! Look at the pretty pictures! Wouldn't you like to have a pet lion?

• observador
    observador

The answer to your first question is YES; they can have your IP address, but this info is not of much value in itself.
    The answer to your second quetion is YES too; you are too paranoid. The WT already got what they wanted. Now go and relax!

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

thanks to all. I took my red pill and drank my coffee.

I can see clearly now

Quotes - Thank You. From the Bottom of my Heart. You have given and trained all of us to use our brains (and computers) to search out the answers for ourselves. Seeing the contradictions in the mags and books has helped many enormously. There are many brains out there working on the next best solution to bring the presses of this farce of a publishing company to a grinding halt. And the solution won't be copyrighted. It will be given freely for all to use.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit