money money money

by PoppyR 22 Replies latest jw friends

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

Feeling pretty smug.. a couple of months ago I cancelled my DD to the society. I have since been waiting to be struck by lightening, but as that hasn't happened, and I do feel I want to donate something, but wanted this time to think more carefully about it. Today I decided on my charity and set up a DD. I just feel so much better about giving just a little bit of money, but to a charity that are actually DOING something with it.

And no.. your charity doesn't count if it's for beer, fags or cosmetic surgery.. get in line!!

Poppy

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I SO know what you mean! I always donated to the Wantpower because I felt like I should. Now I donate to various places because I WANT to. MMMmmmmm...

Oddly, I've found it great fun to give to the beggars you meet in the street. Where I live, I don't see many. It's probably one a week, or so. If I met one every block like in some cities, I'd have to take a pass most of the time. But as it is I can give them a buck, and usually a cigarette. Nothing lights a guy up like asking for a dollar and getting that plus a smoke!

Dave

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

What's DD?

Obviously some sort of donation to the WTS. But what does DD stand for?

-Aude.

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

Sorry, must be a UK term! It means direct debit, as in a payment every month automatically taken from your bank.

• Bryan
    Bryan

The Tower does Direct Deposit!?

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

Oh yes! You can even contribute via credit card now at the conventions!!! Pubs are encouraged to do the direct debit so you dont forget your contributions and also so that they can claim the tax back from it.

I'm so glad I stopped it!!

Poppy

• LDH
    LDH
    Oh yes! You can even contribute via credit card now at the conventions!!! Pubs are encouraged to do the direct debit so you dont forget your contributions and also so that they can claim the tax back from it.

Would you excuse my while I pick up my eyeballs, I know they are on the floor here somewhere. I can hear them rolling around.

Lisa

• greendawn
    greendawn

The WTS certainly has an abysmal record when it comes to charity work, have they ever done any even for their long time loyal members that happen to be in need? When I was a dub I remember they loathed the idea of helping others: "jehovah's organisation is not a charity" they would say.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I have never disclosed any contributions I made to the Watchtower until now. I was a baptised Jdub for almost 16 years. During that 16 year journey through hell I contributed exactly $436.28, which includes donations for magazines,etc. to the Jehovah's Witnesses or the Watchtower corporation.

I became a born again Christian in December 2004. So far in 2005, I have donated $2,025 to my church and other charities. I guess my heart never was in the cult as much as it should have been if I had really believed the BS.

P.S. I didn't have to go through endless Thursday night Service Meetings with an elder talking about some poor kid in Guatemala who sold his pet chicken for $1 and sent it to the Watchtower Society in order to motivate my heart to donate to the Red Cross, my church, disaster relief, etc..

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

They must be desperate.

This looks like a maneuver to assure themselves a "market" for their 4th grade reading level publications. I guess because the house holders TM are smarter and wiser and aren’t contributing to the lawsuit fund world wide preaching work. TM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit