Dumbing down of WT literature can be measured mathematically.

by hamsterbait 39 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

I caught hell from the Campton New Hampshire Kingdom Hall elders for studying the Wycliffe Bible commentary.They found out because i was delighted to show them how the commentary was so closely aligned with Watchtower publications. Now i know that is because the Watchtower plagiarized from it.Ray Franz wrote how the Bethel library has secular writings that rank & file are themselves discouraged from having. ----------- Watchtower Whistleblower: Danny Haszard Bangor Maine Jehovah's Witnesses are the'perfect storm' of deception-in a word they are the cult of Innuendo

• metatron
    metatron

I'm speechless! Brilliant!

See Dick and Jane. See them go door to door. Run, Spot, Run

metatron

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Coincidentally, I was asked by an academic only last evening what was the level of academic value of the WTS' publications. I considered my answer but concluded that they wouldn't stand up against the Bible commentaries freely available in bookshops.

Ozzy, I learned more about God in less than 3 weeks by reading Barnes, Wesley, Clarke, McGee and Barclay than 15 years of Watchtower food at the proper time.

• fahrvegnugen
    fahrvegnugen

I would contend that the literature has become progressively dumbed down over the last several decades. Go back and browse through some of the old books from the 70s and earlier especially the ones dealing with prophetic parallels--these were not for the simple-minded. I know because I studied many of them in depth--from the Studies in the Scriptures on down. This style of book pretty much ended with Fred Franz. Since then it's been mostly fluff with some occasional older stuff mixed in.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Maybe this is a little off-thread, but does anyone remember an Interlinear translation (the OLD one before the so-called "Kingdom Interlinear")? I believe it was written by a non-witness bible scholor in the 1900-1925 era against a King James english NT and the printing rights were passed to the society upon his death by the widow. Poor old lady must have thought WTS was a real Bible publishing society. It pretty much disappeared after the KI version vis the NWT came about.

I think this is also a classic sample of the dumbdown.

I have often wondered how much the original got cribbed upon by Rhodes Scholor Freddy while the NWT was being cooked up?

James

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Here is another formula that allows you to include a text sample as large as you want...

1. Count the number of words in the sample..................................88
    2. Count the number of sentences ...............................................6
    3. Count the number of big words (3 or more syllables)......................6
    4. Divide the number of sentences into the number of words..............88/6 = 14
    5. Divide the number of words into the number of big words.............6/88=7%
    6. Add the result of step 4 to the result of step 5...........................7 + 14 = 21
    7. Multiply by .4..............................................................21 x .4 = 8.4
    Fog Index...................................................8.4
  • LDH
    LDH

I hope this post won't get lost in the shuffle-- it's brilliant.

LOL @ Met.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I discovered that MS Word will run the calculations for you. Just go to help and search for "readability" and it will explain all of the steps.

Here are some of my results:

The Truth That Leads to Eternal Life Worship the Only True God
    Study Article from 2004 Watchtower

Study Article from 1950 Watchtower

• LDH
    LDH

Well,

God did choose the foolish ones of the world to put the wise ones to shame!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    God did choose the foolish ones of the world to put the wise ones to shame!

Lisa, how's about this:

"Blessed are the bewildered

- for they won't notice!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit