Do you like having people Police you behavior?

by free2beme 10 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

Often when your in life, on message board or even among family members. You will get people from time to time, who try to offer some sort of corrective action on your behavior. Maybe they say something like, "I think you should say that differently" or "you topic is something I think belongs elsewhere." While others do not follow or support these statements, and continue on in life and conversation, these will pop up from time to time. While I always appreciate good advice, I always dislike the policing of behavior that I see from time to time. I know it is not just me, and I think it might root back to how much our behavior was policed as a Witnesses to act and do certain things the way they saw fit. In any case, I have often found now that when people do this, I either ignore them and do not respond or simply tell them I disagree and never asked for that kind of response from them in the first place.

How do you feel about this, as an adult, do you like having your behavior policed by people who disagree with your choices or comments?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Policing of behaviour is unavoidable in some places, such as at work, school, discussion boards, etc. But in all these areas there are people who have authority to enforce rules, while most do not. I pay little attention to those who open their mouths to me but have no authority.

W

• Gregor
    Gregor

Well, Free, Obviously you're not married!

My spouse and I, after 41 years, offer critiques on each other all the time. The longer we're married the more I find she is right!

But I think what you're really talking about is being corrected by those who don't know you. After 35 years in the WT org. I am sensitive to "moral authority" figures who want to fine tune me.

• free2beme
    free2beme

I have been married 13 years ... I was more referring to people who do not know us though.

• serendipity
    serendipity

I think it depends on who the person is and what they're saying. I never resent praise.

• Plummet
    Plummet

Is that like the policing that I did to my little sister out in service.

"Your walking to loud, you can't let them hear you"

"Your walking too softly, you want them to hear you"

"Your mags are to crinkly"

"Your mags are to straight"

"You knocked too loud, you don't want them to answer"

"Your teeth are too crooked"

Nag nag nag

No generally I don't like people police my behavior, But if it helps me and I learn to do things better I don't mind it as much.

• serendipity
    serendipity

I'm surprised there have been no handcuff remarks....

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

It's truly unfortunate that we live in a society where what we do, what we say, where we go, who do we

talk to, how we answer questions on forums etc. etc. are many times related to others in content that

some may see as controversial to them. Those others may be people that have some kind of influence

over us, either socially, religously or whatever.

I just tell'em to FO. I ain't got time.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Are you policing my behavior of policing your behavior? ;)

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I would rather have someone correct me than not care and allow me to continue doing something that I might regret later.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit