Hello

by Benjamin Belial 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Benjamin Belial
    Benjamin Belial

Didn't know where to put this so I figured here was as good as anywhere. If you don't like this location, go ahead and move it.

I was raised as a JW. Around 14 I stopped believing, for the most part. By 18-19 I was an athiest and agnostic. I kind of went back and forth. I tried out different religions. At this stage I'm basically an athiest. I guess. Hard to describe. I suppose that makes me agnostic.

Anyway, I probably joined this board before. I don't remember. If I did, it was at least four years ago. Don't feel like typing up a massive biography right now but you'll learn more about me as I post. And probably wish that you didn't.

Is there some way to have signatures on here?

Anyway, later.

• Es
    Es

welcome to the board looking forward to hearing more

es

• greendawn
    greendawn

Welcome to the board Benjamin, tell us more about yourself, were you baptised, are your family JWs? Apparently most JW youths leave the org nowadays.

• Been there
    Been there

Welcome Benjamin,

You sound like your kinda bummin, tell us as you feel ready.

Been there.

• luna2
    luna2

Welcome/welcome back to the board, BB.

• Benjamin Belial
    Benjamin Belial

I was never baptised, no. My mom is a JW. She was converted by my aunt, who strangely enough is one of the most arrogant and condescending people I've ever met. My dad isn't one. My mom converted after they were married. I never told my dad this but I resent him for allowing my mother to raise us in that cult. I think he's figured it out because I sort of make snide remarks about it... like he mentioned a birthday cake in the house, and I said something about how that would be a first, and mentioned "I've never had one because I was raised in a cult."

A few years back I kind of got him too, because it was around this time and the radio was playing Christmas music and it was pissing me off(as always - I hate Christmas). I commented on how I was sick of hearing it. He made a comment about how he thought it was nice. I asked him "So what did you get me this year?" He got really quiet.

I can't talk to my mom about it much though; my dad forbade me from trying to debunk her faith. He feels that proving to her it's all a big joke would hurt her and he doesn't want to see her hurt. I guess he didn't care that it hurt us.

My sister says she's over it. She actually gets mad if I mention that it hurt me. She thinks I should just grow up and shut up about it. My brother on the other hand committed suicide a few years ago. Seems that is a very JW thing, as a friend of my moms, also a JW, killed himself in the last month. My brother was not a JW when he did it, but he was raised as one. Not sure how much it influenced his actions, because he had a lot of problems anyway. I'm not going to sit and say that being raised as one of them caused all his problems. I don't know the extent to which it did.

Guess I'll get to other things as they're mentioned. I'm surprised at the quick replies; thanks.

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

Hello Benjamin, your story is very close to my own. People deal with their JW past in different ways, I for one am jealous of those like your sister who can just forget about it and get on with life. I seem to need to work it all out in minutiae.

• Benjamin Belial
    Benjamin Belial

I know how you feel. I live every day thinking about it. I'm writing a book, actually. A lot of it is about that. I write a lot of poetry also. A lot of the music I listen to is very influenced by those sorts of themes as well.

• Tez
    Tez

Good to have you on here BB! Look forward to hearing more of you when you feel like it! In the meantime just enjoy new friends!!!

• bother_forever
    bother_forever

You have a great deal to give to people with your experiences, remember that. If you can, let a bit out at a time and always follow your intuition. Welcome to the board, from a fellow Newbee.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit