Is Jehovah Mentally Unstable?

by THE SHOOTIST 30 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

Doogie I can't understand what you find funny, I can't see for example why the books of the Kings and Chronicles are God inspired they are basically the history of the Israelites and their kings. The same as the history of other nations.

• DannyBloem
  • DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Interesting topic, It is indeed pretty bizar to think of it. by the way, where does the O.T. faccination of the foreskin comes from? Danny

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

Some of you guys are too negative and you shouldn't lean on your own understanding, or lack of understanding.

• VM44
    VM44

Perhaps we (I included) have been too negative.

Can someone provide understanding?

I seek enlightenment!

--VM44

• THE SHOOTIST
    THE SHOOTIST

It's far from negative and I do lean on my own understanding. If it looks like crap, smells like crap, steams like crap, and you've got a cow standing over it with it's tail raised, then my understanding is that I'm looking at crap. It don't take a genius to figure that out or God either.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    you shouldn't lean on your own understanding

hey, i heard this somewhere else too... hmmm... i can't place where right now though.....

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

has anyone used those little weights that get your foreskin back?I don't mean 'back' I mean, like, stretched.A friend asked me to ask...........

• Jamelle
    Jamelle

I'll pass on discussing foreskins...ahem...but I will take a stab at the underlying question of mental instability.

I've often been very disturbed by the violence contained in the old testament. The things, terrible things, attributed to God in the Old Testament are things that would result in any human being being locked up with the key thrown away.

When I questioned these things as a JW I was given various different responses.

Regarding the murder of children - God could see into their hearts and knew that when they grew up they would be wicked and thus was able to justly kill them as children. (This reason was also the one given for how God could kill wordly children at Armageddon)

WTF?

The main response was that we can't seek to understand God's reasonings and motivations. He knows best and whatever he did was just.

I still don't know how I feel about all this. I think that the Old Testament was written during a different, more violent era and it reflects that. Its hard to reconcile these things with a "God of love".

• VM44
    VM44

It was a very very violent culture back in king David's time.

I was thinking about the account, it probably is obvious that the David had to have an accounting of the number of enemy men he killed.

The Bible accounts concerning David make him appear to be a mass murderer! And that was the type of person people looked up to back then.

--VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit