Are you Christmas-retarted?

by Thegoodgirl 40 Replies latest jw friends

• anewme
    anewme

You are right! It is so hard to explain to non witness family how you can just suddenly start to celebrate something you have for years shunned.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

"We need a christmas for dummys book"

I'm sure Miss Manners has some input on all this.

• carla
    carla

I just love these threads. You guys, just relax! It's Christmas! You are not obligated to do anything. If you receive a gift and didn't get one for that person just say thanks. Some years I did have a generic kind of gift wrapped just in case of this situation. But, really don't worry. If someone buys you a gift it is because they wanted to. THEY get joy out of giving you something. I know some people who don't care if they get anything at all, they just love buying gifts for others and wrapping them!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Oh, yes. Two more tips.

Sometimes I see a gift that is PERFECT for a friend or acquaintance. I snatch it up and give it at Christmas. It may be over the top for the level of our relationship, but I am not interested in reciprocation, rather grabbing the opportunity when it presents itself. My friends know I don't expect a gift in return, as I don't give it other than a simple "Thank you."

I have a gift shelf. I stock it with finds from after Christmas sales, Liquidation World and bargain bins. I also keep on hand a stock of generic cards and gift bags. If I forget to go shopping for a wedding, baby shower, or birthday, I raid my gift shelf. Very handy.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I am soooooo glad someone started this thread. I thought I was the only one with two left Christmas feet.

Just last nite I asked wifey - "Do I need to buy any gifts? Who for? DO I need to buy you a gift? The g-kids or did you take care of that?"

I just have no clue. This year I started to get a few addresses from those on JWD and also a few relatives and sent xmas cards out. That felt good to me. We have a tree up and a few decoratations. We have planned to attend a xmas dinner at my dad's house. Other than that I am in the dark. I still have a few cards to send out in fact - will get them in the mail today.

Even though my dad was not JW, he never did anything in the family about xmas, I guess in respect to mom. Also I think he thought it was the 'truth' until I discovered the 'truth about the truth' and shared it with him. Now we both do a little bit of xmas.

I have been forcing myself to say Merry Christmas to people. I don't really care if the holiday is entirely kosher, I just know that the JW's lied to me for decades about everything else, so why should I impose a continuing foolish acceptance of anything they teach on myself?

Still - I like the music, and I like to see my g-kids enjoy the holiday too. But I do feel like the Xmas clutts at this point.

Jeff

• jgnat
    jgnat

I agree you guys need a whole other level of help. Reading elsewhere's struggle to decorate his first tree had me in stitches. Do you think I can find it?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/40764/1.ashx

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

Yes, I hear ya, guys.

Thanks for the tips, it's true, it's not a popularity contest or rocket science, but it's stressful if you're constantly trying to look "natural" at celebrating it, you know?

Good idea for stocking a generic gift, I guess it happens to everyone that you get a gift but didn't give one.

I always was a fan of being creative rather than expensive. But the older you get, it seams the less cute "creative" is.

Bikerchic, I hear you, I still have yet to get to that blasted post-office, and my dad's birthday card is over a week late.. I meant well.

Mrs. Jones, my 15 inch tree is a fake one too! I originally bought it just for a side decoration for a room other than the one with the christmas tree, but this year, the 15 incher is IT.

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

I'm afraid that unless I move and start a new life somewhere,christmas will always be tainted,and I remind me of years of emotional pain and isolation.It is a foriegn custom to me,except the whole drinking and eating part.Maybe next year it will be better.

• Kaylen
    Kaylen

I keep a few extra bottles of wine that you can just slip into those Christmas wine bags and make some christmas biscuits (umm cookies or you guys) and little christmas cakes and have a few ready made christmas boxes. If anyone unexpectedly drops off a present then I give them some of those and if any are left over we have them Christmas day.

We (because we have a roofing business) also help our neighbours put up their lights (we dont have to worry watching them struggle on the roof and it makes us feel good to have helped).

Another way to help yourself get into the Christmas spirit is to buy a gift and donate it to one of the charity wishing trees that provide for underprivledged children in your area. -Try and buy for a teenage boy because they get the least amount of donations.

Oh and get yourself a couple of christmas cds and play they really loud there is nothing like belting out "Santa Claus is coming to town" to get you in the mood.

• desbah
    desbah

I this time of the year, when I first started to celebrate Christmas it was stressful and I had alot of guilt, then I realized to let go and enjoy the holiday season. Some helpful hints: if you don't feel like decorating or giving gifts that's fine. Just enjoy the season. My JW mother said to me recently, Santa Clause is fake! I said to my mother I know Santa not real, but it's the idea behind giving gifts...then I said to my mother, it's always better to give than receive.

Merry Christmas everybody!!!

~desbah~

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit