Did you ever preach door to door on a Christmas day?

by JH 25 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

I don't know if it's only our congregation or every congregation was the same, but no door to door was organized on Christmas day.

That was the only day of the year that the JW's in our area wouldn't go pest people.

Wonder why?

• jstalin
  • Effervescent
    Effervescent

I don't ever remember going out in service on any holiday. That was usually the time for us to hide away in our houses and pretend to be happy.

Which really means it was one of the few times I got to sleep in.

• M.J.
    M.J.

I've heard dubs talk about doing it. Sick. Okay so you don't accept someone's holiday as legitimate. At least respect their special family time by not intruding with your agenda.

• mouthy
    mouthy

ROTFL!!!! You bring back funny episodes on Christmas preaching !!!Yes we went out one Christmas, That was the ONLY day I remember that all the doors would open to us!! offer us a drink etc:...One door next to where two of us were working, the guy inside was boozed out of his mind & he took one of the Brothers? who had just rang his bell !! Got hold of the Brother? & beat the heck out of him... Poor guy!!Well we all discussed after how" SEE The Persecution we must go through" The congregation didnt go the next year Oh what a funny bunch of nuts we were >>>>>>ME especially!!!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Where I lived there was a very large Jewish community. On Christmas we went door to door in that area. If there were any Christmas decorations we would skip that house and only knock on doors that displayed the Mezuzos

• Maryjane
    Maryjane

I went out one Christmas and offered the "Greatest Man..." book. For the most part, people were friendlier than usual and I placed quite a few books that day (no donations tho...lol)

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I went out on Christmas once -- never again! I got the worst reaction from anyone I'd ever gotten, and I was humiliated to be there intruding on his home at a time special to him.

Never again after that, though some "friends" derided me for it. Screw 'em. Thought it then, think it now.

Dave

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Yes often.

• FairMind
    FairMind

Most certainly and received mixed reactions. Some people are sickenly sweet and others very rude (understandble in both cases). My preference is to not go to strangers' doors on Christmas Day as a representative of a non-Christmas celebrating religion. Somehow this has always seemed rude to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit