Is Christmas for Jews?

by LittleToe 10 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Given that so many practises associated with Christmas are blatantly Christian in origin, is Christmas truly for Jews?

I know that often there are few Christian connotations attributed to it nowadays, in such a zionist society, but history is on record in showing that the whole baby Jesus / Messiah thing is definitely a Christian element. Would any true Jew (orthodox or otherwise) today want to drink such a mixed cup, perhaps by even combining it with Hanukah?

Discuss...

• LittleToe
  • LittleToe
    LittleToe

Oh Ianone, where are you?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    in such a zionist society

You're not missing Ianone are you?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

ROFL.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I do, I do. I miss him terribly!

I think he's gone to a party with FredHall, ShiningOne, Defd, and Sweetscholar. I miss them

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

I can't imagine one reason at all for why a religious Jew would celebrate Saturnalia.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Jews celebrate Hannukkah which in origin is not the festive holiday they make it today. Hannukkah never commanded 8 gifts each night and except for the Menorah, there were no decorations. Over the decades, they added some aspects of Christmas such as buying gifts, Hannukkah garland, Hannukah bush, etc. IMO, Jews commercialized Hannukkah so they wouldn't feel left out during the holiday season and the retailers commersialized it to make extra money.

Growing up, my family only celebrated Hannukkah

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Would any true Jew (orthodox or otherwise) today want to drink such a mixed cup,

Here in Los Angeles many 'religous' jews 'celebrate' the secular Christmas tradition (Santa, etc.) .... this year, I'm hearing more "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Hannukah" greetings rather than the P.C. "Happy Holidays" ... this is the way it was years ago, people let people celebrate in their own way without being critical as to if you're making a non-christian feel bad if you said "Merry Christmas". refreshing....

• moshe
    moshe

My sister sent us a Happy Hanukkah card- she's a Christian- we send her family a " have a Happy Christmas" card. We can wish each other a happy holiday, even if it's not the one we celebrate personally. It's too bad that Jehovah's Witnesses can't be a little more understanding of different faiths.

Peace,

Moshe

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit