WTBTS Receives Award From Blood Management

by Gerard 13 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Gerard
    Gerard

Oops. Corrupted link. Go to:

http://www.jw-media.org/ and cclick on the Health and Medicine link. It is the first article in the list entitled "Society for the Advancement of Blood Management recognizes a primary source of information regarding transfusion alternatives"

Washington, DC—"Without their help, none of us who practice in the field of blood management would be where we are today. It is with great pleasure and most humble thanks that the Society for the Advancement of Blood Management [SABM] presents this award as a Pioneer in Blood Management to the men and women of the Hospital Information Services of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society." On September 21, 2002, at the annual medical symposium it was with these words that Dr. Richard K. Spence presented a Certificate of Recognition and an award "For Your Pioneering Efforts in the Field of Bloodless Medicine and Surgery" to Hospital Information Services of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society.

Hospital Information Services, or HIS, is the arm of Jehovah's Witnesses' headquarters staff that coordinates communication between over 110,000 physicians worldwide. Some 1,600 subgroups termed "Hospital Liaison Committees," or HLCs, facilitate this communication on a local level. In this way premium nonblood medical management is made available to as many individuals as possible.

SABM is dedicated to the advancement of optimal blood management in clinical practice through education, cooperation and research. Having these goals, SABM took the opportunity at its first annual event to recognize the work of HIS: "This group of individuals rapidly became one of the primary sources of information regarding transfusion alternatives to the medical community. Over the years, the HIS has provided collated books of medical literature, focused publications, videotaped presentations and support for conferences worldwide to all who have asked for help. Their tireless efforts have been accomplished with grace, dignity, respect for all and an overriding sense of the importance of human life."

In view of the renewed concern over the transmission of disease, the constant threat of blood shortages and the increasing awareness of the value of respecting patient needs and rights , it is vital now more than ever to explore the simple, safe and effective alternatives to blood transfusion.

Media contact J. R. Brown, telephone: (718) 560-5600

Medical contact HIS: (718) 560-4300

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Kinda makes you want to puke, doesn't it.

• yesidid
    yesidid

I put this on the other thread.

They are a little short on good news about blood.

That was 2002. Nothing good since and lot of bad around the corner. yesidid

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I guess I will post mine here, too...since we're going to double post.

Well, Gerard, I would guess that for very good reason they don't want people to investigate it too closely. It has been "relocated."

http://www.jw-media.org/region/global/english/releases/health/021118a.htm

I found it again...why is it moving? Oddly, the Society that awarded it supports blood drives and the award itself...

"This group of individuals rapidly became one of the primary sources of information regarding transfusion alternatives to the medical community." (SABM Certificate Of Recognition)

...tends to support the weight of this paper's force.

I think there are some Nervous Nelly's in Crooklyn, tonight!

AuldSoul

• Gary1914
    Gary1914

I believe we can all agree that the WBTS has made great strides in the field of bloodless surgery. I, for one, am thankful for this.

But that is not the point. The point is that they will not allow their members to made an informed decision on whether to accept blood or not.

If given the opportunity who would not opt for bloodless surgery given all the risks of a blood transfusion. But I want the choice, I am an adult and I believe that I should have the right to choose for myself to accept blood or not and not have my choice legislated by a religious organization for fear of expulsion.

• yesidid
    yesidid

I believe we can all agree that the WBTS has made great strides in the field of bloodless surgery. I, for one, am thankful for this.

But that is not the point. The point is that they will not allow their members to made an informed decision on whether to accept blood or not.

If given the opportunity who would not opt for bloodless surgery given all the risks of a blood transfusion. But I want the choice, I am an adult and I believe that I should have the right to choose for myself to accept blood or not and not have my choice legislated by a religious organization for fear of expulsion.

Amen and Amen

yesidid

• Gerard
    Gerard
    I believe we can all agree that the WBTS has made great strides in the field of bloodless surgery.

Excuse me, but the WT has done squat for science.

• Gary1914
    Gary1914

Hello Gerard. Nice to meet you.

I believe that by championing the cause of bloodless surgery, the WBTS has actually influenced advancements in this field. So, while it is true that their contribution to the science of medicine was not a direct one, and was done for all the wrong reasons, they have certainly made physicians aware that doing surgery without blood in some cases can be done successfully.

I am not a Watchtower apologist.

• Scully
    Scully

I think the organization that made this award to the WTS would be appalled at the depth and degree of misrepresentation of secular opinion it dispenses to its devotees behind the veil of Truth™.

Just because JWs can get an entire branch of surgical expertise to coddle them and conform to JW practices and beliefs, doesn't make them deserving of an award. They don't give awards or accolades to computer hackers or virus writers for compelling us to achieve higher standards of computer security .... do they???

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Excellent point, Scully.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit