Defd, why do witnesses practice infant baptism?

by in a new york bethel minute 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

instead of highjacking an earlier thread on young ones getting baptized, i thought i'd just start a new one and ask our favourite Dub lurker why his faith practices infant baptism. and Defd, if you feel that a 7 or 8 or even 12 year old isn't an infant with regards to making major decisions, i would like to hear your explanation.

bethel

• JH
    JH

Personally, I find that way too young.

Since the JW's admit that baptism is the most important day of your life, then you should be old enough to know what you're doing.

Not below 18, I say !!!!

Usually, when poeple reach that age, they quit anyways.

• Gary1914
    Gary1914

In our Kingdom Hall a 9 year old girl was allowed to be baptized. It was said that she was more mature that most and that she knew what she wanted to do. What 9 year old girl or boy knows what they really want. It's preposterous!

Now she is 10 years old and she is contantly being held up as the example that all young people should follow. I am just waiting until she hits puberty and see what happens then!

• Tez
    Tez

Here we go, have a go at defd again!! as if he has all the answers! like many good JW's he will only reply what any other good JW would say, and that is they feel that early baptism is a protection! I taught my kids that and they will carry on teaching that! The truth NOW as I see it Jesus didn't get baptized until he was 30, why is that??

• Poztate
    Poztate

I have often said that if you are not deemed old enought to say NO!! and quit the TRUTHâ„¢ then you are not old enough to be baptised.It is supposed to be a decision...a choice.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

During my time as an active jw there were at least a dozen under 14s baptised, probably half of them pre - teens. I doubt if any of them really knew what they were doing, they were yielding to parental pressure. The wts need kids to get baptised early these days to keep the worlwide total of jws at its present level so as to cover for all the ones who see through the lie and leave.

• Soledad
    Soledad
    In our Kingdom Hall a 9 year old girl was allowed to be baptized. It was said that she was more mature that most and that she knew what she wanted to do. What 9 year old girl or boy knows what they really want. It's preposterous!

Here is what defd would say:

I don't feel that there is anything wrong with that. How wonderful to see our youths remembering their creator! (Ecclesiastes 12:1). There is nothing the world can offer us, and soon, very soon, Satan the devil, you apostates and this evil wicked system will come to an end. At 9 years old a youth is more than capable of expressing his or her sincerely held beliefs and dedicating their lives to Jehovah! This will certanly lead to everlasting life What other organization out there dispenses such a spiritual feast at the proper time?

Soledad----defd's spokesperson

• JH
    JH

Does Derrick still post here? I haven't seen him in a while.

• JH
    JH

Naturally, the JW's are free to bring their kids to the hall, and the kids may want to get baptized young knowing that it will please their parents and elders BUT, they are too young to realize what they are doing.

Only later in life will they be happy they did get baptized early, or will be looking for the first exit OUT of this cult, which proves that they were too young to fully understand what they were doing.

• prophecor
    prophecor

I have to strongly agree that anyone not of the age of at least 16, at best, 18, should never be baptised. Adolescent urgings and leanings, as well as the emotional instability of many youts well into thier 20's, even, is reason enough to keep these young ones from becoming baptised.

The things that youts will go thru in thier pre-formative years will, more often than not, cause a conflict in thier growth as a person and place un-realistically high expectations upon them that should be reserved for those who have some reasonable degree of maturity.

Most are becoming set-up for failure, way ahead of time. Recipies for dissaster.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit