The 1968 quote re 1975, the COMPLETE one?

by Fatfreek 20 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

I hate to rehash but I Googled this with no luck.

The following is a great quotation and I've always referred to it. But does anyone have the complete one (without the ellipsis)? Or a scan?

Fats

"1968 "'Adam Created At Close Of 'Sixth Day' Are we to assume from this study that the battle of Armageddon will be all over by the autumn of 1975, and the long-looked-for thousand-year reign of Christ will begin by then ? Possibly, but we wait to see how closely the seventh thousand-year period of man's existence coincides with the Sabbath-like thousand-year reign of Christ....It may involve only a difference of weeks or months, not years.' (Watchtower, Aug. 15, 1968, p499)"

• rebel8
    rebel8

This is the 10-8-68 article FWIW (presented for critical review in compliance with copyright law.) I can email it to you if you want it. Kinda blurry when I post it in the forum.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

It's also copyright law compliant because it's illegible.

• DannyHaszard
  • Abaddon
    Abaddon

Mmmm... love those funky 'pop art' Awail! graphics from the 60's.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I found two pieces of art I hope to scan later today, WITH extensive critical analysis. I still can't figure out how to use picture hosting on JWD. Must be slow.

Anyway, both show 1914 with an arrow stretching to Armageddon labeled "within ONE generation." Sometimes, the visual aids show what was being taught more than the publications. As the article in World Book regarding propaganda indicated, the images created in people's minds are frequently more compelling than what the text or associated message actually states.

And what a propaganda machine it is. Years after leaving, many still believe the organization itself is untouchable.

AuldSoul

• VM44
    VM44

How did the article answer the question "What will the 1970's bring?"? --VM44

• bitemeWT
    bitemeWT
    This is the 10-8-68 article FWIW (presented for critical review in compliance with copyright law.) I can email it to you if you want it. Kinda blurry when I post it in the forum.

I have this Awake... Here's the auction... (hope I'm not breaking any rules here)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6589005038&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

• VM44
    VM44

Here is a link to a more readable version of the article. --VM44

http://www.kent.steinhaug.no/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1176

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Pages 14-15 of that Awake! issue October 8, 1968 says:

"Does this mean that the above evidence positively points to 1975 as the time for the complete end of this system of things? Since the Bible does not specifically state this, no many can say. However, of this we can be sure: The 1970's will certainly see the most critical times mankind has yet known. The deterioration in human relations—within families, communities, cities and nations, and between nations—will worsen, not improve. (2 Tim. 3:13) If the 1970's should see intervention by Jehovah God to bring an end to a corrupt world drifting toward ultimate disintegration, that should surely not surprise us.

"If you feel that this is painting the picture too darkly, consider what warnings the hard facts have forced even men of this world to express. They sense that disaster is approaching, but, lacking the Bible's guidance, they do not know what to do about it. That is why U.S. News & World Report of June 10, 1968 said:

"'What is developing, as many experts see it, is an era of confusion and doubts unlike anything experienced.'

"Concerning political instability, former U.S. Secretary of State Dean Acheson said in 1960: 'I know enough of what is going on to assure you that, in 15 years from today [or, by 1975], this world is going to be too dangerous to live in.' And of the struggle between communism and capitalism, Intelligence Digest of August 1967 said: 'The facts...show that the forces in the world struggle are grouping themselves for a decisive showdown.'"

The article continues with more doom and gloom than I have observed stuffed into any other single article in my life. And what of the '70s?

Moderate, compared to the '60s. Disco and bellbottoms. The Partridge Family and Brady Bunch. Sanford & Sons, All In the Family...Dukes of Hazzard, Hulk, Million Dollar Man, King King ... gee, it wasn't really so bad growing up in the '70s. Odd, I wasn't petrified with fear at all during the '70s except that time I told my dad to, "Shut up." Mental note registered throughly on its trip from my hindquarters: Don't say that to daddy.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit