So were any bible prophecies true?

by cheeseman 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Joshua and Moses predicted where they were going to be buried after they cacked. They were right. That is, if they actually wrote the books that the WTS says they did.

• fairchild
    fairchild
    Joshua and Moses predicted where they were going to be buried after they cacked. They were right. That is, if they actually wrote the books that the WTS says they did.

This is the whole point. We have no proof one way or the other. We have no proof that the bible books were written by so and so. We have no proof that the prophesies were added afterwards, and we have no proof that they are original and true. As with all other bible questions, there are excellent arguments to be found both ways. It drives me nuts.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Once someone told me that the expression "nation against nation and kingdom against kingdom" was not taken literally and it simply meant a condition of total conflict, and can be applied for example to a civil war in a specific country, as the civil war of the ancient Egyptians.

If the gospel of Mark can be dated pre 70AD the prophecy of Jesus about the destruction of Jerusalem can not be a case of ex eventu. However despite good evidence to the contrary biblical critics refuse to accept a pre 70AD date for that gospel.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

There are also the prophecies that came true because they were not exactly rocket science. If you predicted in 1000 BC that (insert city name here) would be destroyed, and you were not particular about timing, you would probably be right. Just about every city and country got pillaged sooner or later, with the exception of Egypt. Unfortunately, the Bible specifically predicted the destruction of Egypt by Nebuchadnezzar. I guess that one must have been symbolic, or something.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    If the gospel of Mark can be dated pre 70AD the prophecy of Jesus about the destruction of Jerusalem can not be a case of ex eventu. However despite good evidence to the contrary biblical critics refuse to accept a pre 70AD date for that gospel.

I'm still waiting to see "good evidence to the contrary".

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Ten recently fulfilled prophecies (since 1948) :

http://www.therefinersfire.org/recent_prophecy.htm

google: bible prophecy fulfilled

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Throughout history countless people have prophesied the end of the world and they all have one thing in common: They were all wrong. My thoughts exactly elsewhere, and not many have prophesied it more than the wts, or been wrong so often

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Double Edge,

What about unfulfilled prophecies becoming a geopolitical script?

• greendawn
    greendawn

Narkisssos, it was Carston Thiede that wrote a book defending his opinion that Mark was written before 60AD and perhaps as early as 50 AD one link I found:

http://answering-islam.org.uk/Shamoun/documents.htm

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Fairchild:

This is the whole point. We have no proof one way or the other. We have no proof that the bible books were written by so and so.

Yup. History is written by the victors, and to the victor the spoils. By that stroke we should question everything we read. However we have been conditioned by society in general, and the WTS in particular, to believe most everything we see in print. Remember when we were encouraged to show householders what was written in the Reasoning book, to increase our credibility?

I have no doubt that Julius Caeser looked fetching in a toga but I have to question what kind of a back-stabbing he got from his bossom-buddy Brutus!

Dedpoet:So true!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit