Anyone leave the JW's and Still Follow Some of the Beliefs?

by lynnmelo 27 Replies latest jw friends

• carla
    carla

I do not understand when jw's go on about Christmas, birthdays, etc... having pagan roots and that's why we shouldn't celebrate them, when if they did even the most minor research they would see the wt has very pagan roots! Such as the pryamids being 'God's stone', phrenology, astrology, numerology, etc... Then they will explain that away as 'we don't believe that stuff anymore'. Yet they cannot see the comparison to modern day birthday's and the like.

• avishai
    avishai
    However, I still believe in some of the things that the JW's believe. For example, it's a fact that Christmas has pagan roots, so I wouldn't feel right celebrating it

Wedding rings also have pagan roots, as do bridal veils, but that does'nt stop them from using those!!!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Nope - not one.

I was raised in the JWs and find no problem with Christmas. While it might have one or two practises that once were pagan, that's not really relevant nowadays unless you actually are pagan and are entering into the spirit of that. Chances are that you'd then spurn the whole Holiday because it's a dilution of your beliefs.

Further, it's a time of year when there is far more goodwill than at any other time, and for that I just have to say "Thanks gawd it's Christmas!"

• lynnmelo
    lynnmelo

Thank you all for your responses.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

NNNNOOOOO !!!!!!!

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Holidays are a moot point to me. I recognize their pagan roots but I do not see this as a bad thing. I don't believe in there being one true religion, one true faith, etc. Therefore I see no reason to not celebrate them.

I find I've grown further away from all their teachings, uinque or not, the longer I've been gone. Which does not appear at all uncommon.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

I STILL STOP FOR COFFEE AND A DOUGHNUT ON SATURDAY MORNINGS NO MATTER WHAT I'M DOING. CAN'T GET OUT OF THAT OLD WATCHTOWER HABIT!

OUTASERVICE

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

really, what difference does it make? whether anyone decides a common celebration is right or not. i celebrate the changing of the seasons for myself. there are a few things inherent, for example, evergreens are abundant, pomegranites are plentiful, snowflakes are common in many parts of the earth, strings of popcorn and cranberries are just fun. misletoe is clear in the leafless trees, why not say that is special and have a little kiss? or many? it is easy to debunk their many superstions and paranoias. once you are on the outside, it is easy to look in and see their many falacies and superstions. certainly, imo, those who accept the jw way are simply uneducated and allow themselves and their lives to be dictated by others. maybe it is just easier for them that way. sadly, many look outside themselves for direction in life. peace

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

: How many out there hold onto some of the uniquely JW beliefs even though they've left the JW's?

If you mean that they are the only religion that teaches it. I can't think of one thing. Things I still believe----I can't accept churches supporting war, the ransom, the Bible with it's moral code, Jesus,etc, are not unique to WT.

B

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    the wt has very pagan roots! Such as the pryamids being 'God's stone', phrenology, astrology, numerology, etc... Then they will explain that away as 'we don't believe that stuff anymore'. Yet they cannot see the comparison to modern day birthday's and the like.

Wow, Carla, EXCELLENT point. I never thought about that. Double standard of the highest order. So glaring, but I never caught it before. Thank you for that.

The Watchtower does a little shell game on the "pagan origins" thing. It's ok to buy into the idea, but be sure you're doing it because you choose to and not because you've fallen for the trick.

The trick is this. They say, "We know that Jehovah hates things of pagan origin. Does Christmas have pagan origins? Let's find out." Then they whip out a hundred references to show that trees, holly, gift-giving, and every other trapping of Christmas has its origins in paganism. The logical conclusion? God hates Christmas. But wait a minute, they never proved their opening premise. How do we know that God hates all things that find their origins in paganism? Where's the proof of that?

Is it truly offensive to God when we refer to "Thursday", since it is named after Thor, the God of thunder? Does he recoil in disgust when we call the 4th planet from the Sun "Mars", named after the Roman god of war? Or does he -- like people -- think of these things in their modern context? I don't believe in Thor or Mars -- Thursday is the day before Friday, and Mars is a planet. Nothing more.

To Christians, Christmas is a time to celebrate their faith in Christ. They set up nativity scenes, they give religious gifts, they go to church. It's a revival of sorts.

If their god exists, I can't see him getting all whacked over their behavior.

But that's my opinion. And if you hold a different one, that's entirely up to you. I only encourage you to be sure you're holding it because you picked it up yourself, not because the JW's handed it to you.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit