Anyone leave the JW's and Still Follow Some of the Beliefs?

by lynnmelo 27 Replies latest jw friends

• lynnmelo
    lynnmelo

Many of you have seen my posts in the last week or two, but for those who haven't, here's my story in brief: I've been studying with the JW's for a couple of years, but just had too many doubts to commit. Those doubts were solidified when I discovered this site. Now I've decided not to commit.

However, I still believe in some of the things that the JW's believe. For example, it's a fact that Christmas has pagan roots, so I wouldn't feel right celebrating it (I'm not judging anyone here; I'm just explaining my stance). Yet, so many of the former JW's or potential JW's here seem to have just gotten right back into celebrating the holidays once they left the JW's (I've looked up some post histories while exploring this site). I guess I'm wondering why. For those who did this, did you just never really buy into the JW's explanation of why we shouldn't celebrate holidays? I guess I'm just trying figure out how one can go from not believing it's right to celebrate the holidays to thinking it's okay to celebrate the holidays.

Another question: How many out there hold onto some of the uniquely JW beliefs even though they've left the JW's?

This is a genuine question, by the way, with no sarcasm or judgement intended. Thanks.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Yes. I will send you a PM.

AuldSoul

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

Hi lynnmelo--I have never celebrated christmas.I believe the witnesses take the spirit of christmas and completely twist it though.It has been brought up before how pagan roots are an integral part of our lives.For example,The names of the weekdays,wedding rings,also the months{there are more,I just can't think of them}.Where do you stop straining ou the gnat and gulp down the camel.I have grown up in this religion and carry no beliefs over into my real life.They enjoy taking joy out of peoples lives,sad but true.If celebrating a holiday is for the sole purpose of spending time with friends and family ,to show them love,whats the problem?The problem is,it is a cult,and they want to isolate you as much as possible with people who know better.They need to stand out as different to prove there right,now that is pagan to me.

I am glad you have decided not to commit to them,and please do ENJOY this holidays,and only you know why you chose to celebrate.Best of luck,STP

• yesidid
    yesidid

Hi Lynnmelo,

I am facinated by your story and how you have weighed everything and decided not to reject everything the Witnesses teach just because they teach it.

My husband were long time Witnesses. He was baptized just on sixty years ago and I fifty-five. We have both been out three years.

Like you we do not believe Christmass is a Christian celebration. We absolutely agree with the Witnesses stand on war, the trinity, and soul.

It appears to us that the hellfire doctrine is one of the most God-dishonoring doctrines taught today. We also have sympathy for their stand on politics, and agree that

nationalism has been the cause of much bloodshed.

That's about it, unless I think of something else.

I pray God be with you on your journey.

PS Although we don't believe in the trinity we are very sure that the WTS minimize Christ's role almost to the point of denying Christianity itself.

yesidid

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Hi again, Lynn!

just trying figure out how one can go from not believing it's right to celebrate the holidays to thinking it's okay to celebrate the holidays.

I was raised a JW and I guess I just never could fully bring myself to believe it was wrong to celebrate some aspects of life but not others (birth--baby showers ok; anniversary of birth--not ok--why?; marriage--ok, anniversary of marriage--ok, death--memorial service ok), and faith (Jesus' birth--not ok unless you're an angel, a shepherd or a pagan magi perhaps?; Jesus' death--ok, but don't partake even though He told us to do--why?; Jesus' resurrection--not ok--why? I couldn never totally understand and accept JW explanations. I celebrate life and faith. "Pagans," or non-Christians, also celebrate life and faith. Is that a good reason for me not to? I have been both and have found even more to celebrate after becoming a Christian...

How many out there hold onto some of the uniquely JW beliefs even though they've left the JW's?

I can't think of any unique to them that I now embrace...

*Millions now living will never die (c.1920 and before)?...not so easy to believe any more, but my great grandfather (deceased) believed it, and my grandparents (deceased) believed it...

*Blood transfusions are the same as eating blood and are a sin against God?...nope, I've read the Scriptures and feel they're dead wrong on that one...

*The soul dies when the body dies?...nope (Matthew 10:28, for one)...

*Jesus came invisibly in 1914?...nope (Matthew 24:23-27)...

~Merry

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Well, the first thing I dropped when I stopped believing in JWism was the concept of an grouchy, ill-tempered BibleGod watching my every move and saying "Ah-ha! Look at Dantheman, there celebrating Christmas with his family. I am SOOOOOO displeased with him! Put him on the Armageddon Execution list there Jesus!!!"

Really, isn't it silly?

Christmas to me is about hearing certain songs that I only hear this time of year that make me smile and sing or whistle along, pretty decorations and light displays, gift-giving, spending time w/family. That's all.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Hi again Lynn

For those who did [celebrate Christmas], did you just never really buy into the JW's explanation of why we shouldn't celebrate holidays? I guess I'm just trying figure out how one can go from not believing it's right to celebrate the holidays to thinking it's okay to celebrate the holidays.

I realized that many of the things the WTS taught were correct. - like the celebration of holidays. But they made these out to be terrible things. Whether the holiday that is celebrated today or not I highly doubt that people are celebrating in any way shape or form to the way people did when the holiday was first celebrated. At birthdays no one cuts off someone's head. They demonized so many things to make themselves "different" - not part of the world.

If NOW these celebrations involved cutting off someone's head I sure would not be participating.

I thought I have about this is what is the purpose for me and my family?

We have an opportunity to get together (we do this through out the year too) We gather and eat a meal together - nothing spectacular about that. We give gifts to one another. Well I do that a lot - I just don't usually wrap them.

There is something special in watching a child's eyes ripping open a wrapped gift. Especially when it is something you know they want. I don't do it for some religious reasons. I do it for the fun. And like I said we don't sacrifice anyone so I see no harm in it.

Another question: How many out there hold onto some of the uniquely JW beliefs even though they've left the JW's?

I left 20 years ago. For the first 10 years I still believed. But after learning about the fear induction and the controls the WTS has over its members I find it hard to follow much of what they say. I've just discovered that I have been lied to way to much by this organization of men. They have broken my trust too many times for me to believe anything they say.

I live a good moral life - don't smoke - have maybe 1 or 2 drinks a year, I'm alone so no sex. I suppose the worst thing I do is come here to help people.

Trust is a terrible thing to destroy. Thw WTS has slowly destroyed anything I held of value that they taught.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Lady Lee,

We will get that phrase into everyone's head in no time, eh?

AuldSoul

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Not now but it plagued me for about 11 years.

I couldn't do christmas, birthdays and most importantly sex. When I did have sex for the first time (at 30)I felt sick to the stomach and a sinner and that was 11 years after I had left. My girlfriend kept telling me you have done nothing wrong but it didn't help.
    I missed out a good 15 years of parties and sex. Anyways I'm up for almost anything nowadays.

I've always been against smoking but I liked the look of those cigars so I started smoking them but only on special occasions especially my birthday, Christmas and New Year.
    I don't recommend cigarettes as they have some awful additives added to the tabacco for flavour and hooking people.

The only consolation to me is that having abstained from sex it may have saved me from AIDS which was rampant in the mid to late 80s when I would have been at my most active.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Hi Lynn,

Its good to know that you have examined the jw beliefs and secided not to commit yourself to them, I am sure many on here wish they had done the same, I know I do.

I have been out for 6 years now, and at first I did continue to do believe some of their teachings, but nowadays I do not hold on to anything I was taught during my years as a jw. I have not called it the truth for years. I used to think that their teachings were a blessing, now I believe they are a curse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit