Taking Life Too Seriously

by joelbear 10 Replies latest jw friends

• joelbear
    joelbear

I've been thinking a lot this week about what has gotten my brain into the mess that it is in. Yes, chemistry plays a part, but I think thoughts affect brain chemistry as much as brain chemistry affects thoughts (especially over a long period of time). I know that one thing for sure is true, I take life and all the bits and pieces of it way too seriously, allowing my emotions to be swung on a much greater arc that I should.

But just think about witness childhoods. Birthdays were days for murder. Everything is pagan. Saturday mornings were for going out and saving people from destruction. I mean sheesh. We didn't have a chance to go up carefree.

I think part of my personal recovery has to be chilling out and not worrying so much about every detail of my life.

• acsot
    acsot

good advice to yourself, joelbear. Do some fun things; do you have nieces or nephews or a friend's kids you can invite out to an amusement park, silly movie, etc.? You're never too old to be a kid!

• luna2
    luna2

I'm glad you are sounding happier, joelbear!

Yes, learning to find joy is a big reason I walked away from the KH when I did. I couldn't stand being so depressed, unhappy and guilty all the damn time.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

(((joelbear))), man my heart aches for you. I have been learning how to have fun, too. For the last two years I have been shedding my indoctrination and I expect it will be a few more before I'll be free of it.

If you ever need to chat or whatever, let me know.

AuldSoul

• crazycate
    crazycate

I'm trying to find a way to deal with my issues as well. Depression, anxiety, negative thoughts. How much is a result of being raised the way I was...and how much is biological? Nuture versus nature? All I know for sure is..where there is life, there is hope. Give up and the darkness wins. Hang in there. Your input is important.

Cate

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

Lots of good advice for yourself, joelbear. Nobody should take themselves too seriously, life's no fun that way!!

And I definitely recommend doing something fun with some kids, nieces and nephews or whatever, go to the zoo, go to the park, ride bicycles, fly a kite, if it's snowy where you live, then build a snowman. Anything fun that's generally reserved for kids. Remember, you can be child-like without being childish. You're never too old to be a kid sometimes!!

Have fun!!

-Becka :)

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

Yes! joelbear...... isn't it cool when we as ex JW"S can learn this? it's also a learning process for me...

the other day, me and my kids went to the park and I just ran around and had a good old time with them. we had a swinging contest and I got the highest so I won!

it was a blast.......doing nothing important except what REALLY matters. having fun.

btw - loved your pottery. I would like to try pottery as one of my next art mediums.

• TopHat
    TopHat

This thread made me think wayyyyy back......Lightbulb!!!!.....My husband never took me out to dance or have a good time untill I became a JW....He never was excited about Xmas until I became a JW....now that I am no longer a JW....he has not sent out one Xmas card this year. Nor has he put up a tree. I can't figure that one out!

• jstalin
    jstalin

From a favorite song of mine:

I don't remember where I was

I realized that life is a game

The more seriously I took things

The harder the rules became

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Sometimes I sit and revel in the fact that I'm free to do as I please. I wrap myself up in that thought like a comforter and just feel its warmth penetrate me. Freedom, sweet freedom. Drink it in, Joel. Or just relax, and feel it washing over you.

Glad you're getting yer chill on. :-)

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit