Revelation 20 questions

by IsaacHorwitz 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• IsaacHorwitz
    IsaacHorwitz

Hi,

I have some questions on Revelation 20. I have posted verses 7-13 below from the New World MisTranslation and put my questions below the verses.

7 Now as soon as the thousand years have been ended, Satan will be let loose out of his prison, 8 and he will go out to mislead those nations in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Ma´gog, to gather them together for the war. The number of these is as the sand of the sea.

• oldflame
    oldflame

In other words there will be many who follow satan

• Narkissos
  • Carmel
    Carmel

Literalism trap! Beware!

carmel

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

You might want to take a look at my thread and especially my post at the bottom of the page:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/96705/1.ashx

• heathen
    heathen

I don't see your question below the verses .

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

Leolaia,

I started reading your thread and it is excellent.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Yes, I`ve read it too, it`s great, especially the part where it is pointed out that the great crowd is standing before Gods throne.

Just a quick question on Revelation (cause I`ve been reading it now): The seven angels mentioned all the time in Revelation, I assume these are the archangels, right? So these, as only Raphael, Gabriel and Michael are mentioned anywhere else in the Bible, are the archangels found in other (deutero-canonical or however you spell it, lol) books, right? To my understanding, there were originally seven archangels, four of which are certain: Michael, Raphael, Gabriel and Uriel. Then, the identity of the last three, is uncertain, but, they are three of these, I think: Raziel, Remiel, Sariel, Metatron, Anael, Raguil, Barakiel, Barbiel, Chamael, Jophiel, Zadkiel, Jeduhiel, Simael, Zaphiel, Aniel. I think Lucifer was also originally an archangel, until he rebelled.

Now, the funny thing I discovered: The WTS claims that Michael the archangel is Jesus. However, he couldn`t possibly be. There are seven archangels standing around the throne of God, and Michael is mentioned in Revelation in the function of an archangel! And in the middle, before the throne of God, is the Lamb! What do they mean? That Michael changed from being one of the archangels, and took on the role of a Lamb? Of course, the whole book is so symbolic it`s hard to tell what is what, but the fact is that Michael is mentioned, and it would be likely that he is there in the role of an archangel, particularly as he is mentioned as Michael the archangel in the book. So he is probably one of the seven standing around the throne. And then there`s the Lamb in the middle... The WTS`s view on this just doesn`t add up.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Hellrider....The seven archangels (cf. arkhaggelos in the Greek text) are listed in 1 Enoch 20:1-7 with their respective functions, these are: Uriel, Raphael, Reuel, Michael, Sariel, and Gabriel. Sometimes Remiel/Jeremiel is also described as an archangel, tho he is the angel in charge of the souls of dead. Raphael is also known from the book of Tobit (a text which likely influenced the NT resurrection narratives). The other angels appear in other works. Michael in particular was associated with the burial of patriarchs and holy men, as in the Testament of Abraham, the Testament of Moses (the probable source of the allusion in Jude), and other works, and even the Ascension of Isaiah depicts Michael as one of the angels who appeared at Jesus' tomb, helping him when he rose from the dead. Revelation also distinguishes between Michael and Jesus in ch. 12, in which Michael fights to protect the Messiah child (who rules with an iron sceptre) from the dragon.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Ok. I have been looking at 1 Enoch, but not gotten til chapter 20.

Revelation also distinguishes between Michael and Jesus in ch. 12, in which Michael fights to protect the Messiah child (who rules with an iron sceptre) from the dragon.

Aha! I didn`t think of that!

I was a bit puzzled though (I`m reading it now), I had forgotten that the 1260 days are mentioned (twice...) in Revelation...so I can understand that the JWs are easily duped by this book.Anyone knows what the 1260 days refer to in Revelation? (It might be mentioned in your Revelation-thread Leo, I`m gonna read it again when I get the time, it`s pretty long).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit