I don't understand the big news! can blondie or someone do an idiots guide?

by Crumpet 24 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Please can someone summarise the big news or put it in plainer english? I've rushed home from work anxious to hear it, read it and still don't understand the ramifications for the borg of this. It could be because my head is spinning from work or I am just plain stupid....From what I've read the impact isn't going to have my family throwing down their watchtowers and realising they love me more, but hat was my own particular pie in the sky.

also how do we get it so that it comes up on google so that anyone wanting to know about JWs and blood come to this news straight away.

dunce-crumpet

• Severus
    Severus

Fools rush in...so here I am.

First, please remember that the entire article is not yet been seen on this board, only a press release teaser. So really very few can speak with any authority about it.

Second, this is a legal opinion of a US lawyer, with possible effect on US courts. None of the information has been tested in a court-of-law.

That said, my impression of the article is:

• That a religion (JW's) cannot claim excemption as "freedom of worship" from being sued if the religion lies about facts or misrepresents other's writings.
    • That JW's do lie/misrepresent in the publications How Can Blood Save Your Life? and You Have The Right to Choose.

Which could mean that JWs who experienced loss because of what the Society said about blood transfusions may have a case to sue for civil damages.

My opinion:

Will someone try and sue the WT Society using this information? Yes, either individually or as a class action.

Will US courts consider this argument legitmate? No one yet knows. Our local poster Oroborus21 (check out his web page here: http://www.oroborus21.com/) seems to think no.

Will news media run this on the evening news? Not until someone sues.

Will this have a impact on non-JW people? Not unless they are interesting in being one, or have JW family. However the general opinion about JW's is sure to plummet. Non-JW parents in custody battles now have a silver bullet.

Will this change active JW opinion? Not unless they are objective thinkers (rare) or already weak. I forecast the spin inside the Organization to focus on "apostate grudges" and "persecution from goverments". This may even galvanize the "faithful" as some sign that this is an "attack from Satan".

How do you aim this infomation with the greatest effect? Remember, a lawyer is going out on the line to prove that the Society lied and misrepresented about the blood issue. Cold, hard facts. Whether or not this has legal precedent, it still a major blow to the Society and its credibility.

The JW asks:

• Why would the Society lie about this?
    • If the Society lied about this, what else did they lie about?
    • Am I willing to trust the Society with my life based on this information?

At least we can hope.

See this link for how you can become an anonymous activist: BIG NEWS Email Clearing House

• bebu
    bebu

Excellent summary, Severus!!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's mine.

This article states that because the JW's misrepresent secular evidence, they are not protected by religious freedom. They can be sued over misrepresenting the risks of refusing a blood transfusion. This would be a great document to provide to emergency rooms, local hospitals, and social agencies who temporarily take custody of sick JW children to provide life-saving medical treatments.

Also, this opens the way for a class action suit from anyone who was harmed because of the misrepresented information on blood transfusions provided by the WTBTS.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

thanks severus - I appreciate that. And jgnat. It has moment but will it have momentum? We can send it to people but I feel it will have limited effect until someone actualy uses it in a court. I wish I could remember the names of the posters who have been directly affected.I think Barb was right to build it up a bit but am not sure how long its impact will take. There's no mention or change on he official JW site yet - wonder if they will - or they'll hope it just goes away...

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's a list of people the essay benefits, and I would promptly send the article to:

- Hospital legal staff.

- Relatives who have lost a JW loved one because of the blood doctrine.

- Relatives of a JW who is refusing blood because of the WT doctrine.

- Government agencies who are responsible for intervening over parent's rights in a medical emergency.

- Legal firms specializing in class action suits.

- "Unbelieving Mates" like myself who discuss the consequences of the WT blood doctrine with our partners.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

There could be some ramifications here in the UK but I am researching whether this is the case; unfortunately this demands significant amounts of time to complete; I will of course post my findings here when they are complete and have been refined somewhat.

DB74

• Cordelia
    Cordelia

crumpet im with you honey, i didnt get it either, i thought theres loads of other books on the blood etc, i will read thru it properly coz im prob being thick, but will it affect england?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Thanks to Crumpet for asking the question that we all wanted to ask.

My thoughts ? (totally as a layman) Medical opinion is often divided as what is the best treatment, doctors do not agree as to the amount of risk involved. It is not a black and white issue.

What about those doctors/surgeons who contributed to the society's literature ? I am thinking particularly of the DVD "Transfusion Alternatives Documentary Series " , which was rather technical and designed I believe for the medical profession. Surely those surgeons could be called as witness to testify that the risks are just as the Watchtower say they are, Where does the court case stand then?

It seems that a legal person has proclaimed (probably correctly) that the medical risks have been under stated but is that going to necessarily stand up to scrutiny in every individual case that may be brought?

Be nice if it did though......

• blondie
    blondie

Thanks, Severus. I have such a crush on Professor Snape.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit