Prof. Jason BeDuhn letter on the NWT/KIT (part 1)

by bj 25 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Juliene,

You said :

Of course when you have the JWs all claiming it is the most perfect translation you are going to see some ruffled feathers.

Of course, here you do have a point, as many JW's have not even read their own NWT let alone compared its standard to another translation, so they are probably in the least confident position to make a pronouncement about it!

As Alcott put it 'To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of ignorance'.

Best regards - HS

HS

• allyouneedislove
    allyouneedislove

LOL. It is quite funny to see such a big case of "attacking the person (or the credentials) of Jason. The "appeal to authority" is a big issue as well when talking to mainstream Christians about the NWT. When will people get it: professional scholars can be biased! I loved Jason's book. It is truly sad to see so many people flocking to attack his arguments, mostly be quoting "the majority of scholars".

• designs
    designs

Prof. BeDuhn was interesting in debates with Bowman and White, kept his cool.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Julien said: "Just seems very curious. I for one did not find Countess' book "mostly tendentious and disputable". Of course I am not a Greek scholar [tm]."

When an author imputes a claim the WTS never made, and take them to task for it, you could rightly say ‘tendentious and disputable.’ The claim Countess makes in my words is that, ‘the NWT translators have a rule which states that all nouns without the definite article are indefinite, while those that have the article are always definite.’ Not true! The WTS have never published such rule.

A countercult expert, Robert M. Bowman Jr. (no friend of the WTS) says of Countess' book: "Evangelical critique; some good information, but (in my opinion) not entirely accurate." (Jehovah's Witnesses Bibliography)

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    I came across this today. . .is it just me or did we have a lot more scholarly types of debates back then? Now it all seems to be about playing "gotcha" with the org.
  • umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

Refutation of BeDuhns "Truth in Translation". by Dr Thomas A Howes

A Review of Dr Jason BeDuhn's " Truth in Translation". by Trevor R. Allen.

Just two to start with. One of the main arguments I have read is that BeDuhn lacks any linguistic doctorate, is not a linguist.....This is an important aspect in unravelling many aspects of language.

I leave it to you to have a small read, then read further. The university BeDuhn attends has distanced it'self from his work on this particular topic of the NWT. Unusual considering he is teaching there......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit