~How has the blood issue affect you personally?

by FlyingHighNow 18 Replies latest watchtower medical

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

In view of Barb's news, it leaves me wondering, how all of you have been affected by the Society's policy on blood transfusions. Please tell us what your experiences have been.

I have my own story to tell.

I refused to allow my children to exchange transfused in utero and afterwards. My son was sent to an NICU unit, he was so ill. He could not be circumcized until he was three months old because my anti Rh factor antibodies kept him anemic.

Both of my children suffer from learning disabilities, neurological problems as well as emotional problems. My daughter is 26. My son is 21. They live life as though they are running against the wind, like an invisible hand is holding them back.

There were several times I refused blood for myself. I don't know what long term effect that has had on my health. I had a chronic illness and went around very anemic for years. I always felt rundown and exhausted. The quality of life I had was not optimum and it drug my family down as well.

• FlyingHighNow
  • FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Did any of you lose loved ones? Do you know someone who was harmed or were you harmed?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

FHN, give 'em time. There are many here who have been impacted. Balsam was cost her son. JustTickledPink was almost never alive. There are many more who have had experiences with Aunt's, Uncles, parents, grandparents, mates, and so on. Right now, I believe everyone is a little distracted.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• miker2
    miker2

Well. I knew one lady who had problems in her hips. It required with urgency an surgery. Finally she obtained that a Hospital of the state, took care of it but needed blood. All the elders tried to avoid that she put blood. But the interesting thing of this, is that the elders only visited her when they heard about this surgery, but had forgotten their presence since more than year ago. Anyway to refuse this operation, she aggravated and although she did not die must now walk with a chair with wheels.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

FHN, since my dad is on the HLC locally I know of all kinds of issues that come up. Many times the courts were asked to order transfusions and the Scoiety moved to block the order. Some lived, some died. Most that were really bad off were taking EPO or some other blood booster.

It affects a lot of people. You never know how many people are affected by the death of a person. I have a friend who watched his childhood friend die because of not taking blood. In her case, it would have saved her life. None of the "alternative" would work for her condition. To this day he is only a borderline Witness because he cannot make that one act he witnessed right in his head.

How many are hurting because of the blood doctrine?

I think the safest way to test this theory would be in the event of the death of a Witness with an unbelieving mate. That would be a much easier case and would get the ball rolling well, as far as establishing precedent.

AuldSoul

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I had a cousin, Berry S., who developed cancer and later died "faithful to Jehover" having refused any blood related treatments.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Almost 30 years ago I was pregnant with my second child. After the birth of my first child I refused the injection to prevent blood incompatibility (Been a long time so I don't remember what it was called)

My second child was born 4 weeks early. I had been on total bed rest since the 6th month (due to premature labor) and was on medication to prevent me from going into labor again.

Because she was premature the doctor's were worried about her bilirubin levels. This would not have been a huge issue if I had accepted the injection after the first birth. But I was told that because she was premature, because I had not recieved the injection and because there was a second blood incompatility issue they were keeping a very close eye on her.

They came to me on the Saturday morning after her birth and told me that her bilirubin levels were too high and they were thinking of sending her to the Children's Hospital in Montreal. They wanted to know if we would give permission for a blood transfusion.

I was terrified. I had gone through so much so far to bring this child into the world. I certainly didn't want her die now. Of course as good JWs we said NO. But my heart was not in it. I prayed that if it came down to it I hoped the courts would force it. I really believe that I would have caved in and let her have it but there was no way my husband would have agreed.

This worry and discussion went on for hours. The doctors decided to redo the test and see if the levels had changed. When the second test came back her levels were normal so she was out of danger.

We didn't have to kidnap her from the hospital as other parents had done. We didn't have to let our baby die for following WT policy.

To this day I still wonder about this. I can taste the fear I had during those hours. And I felt so sad for those whose babies did die.

And now I find out that all the medical information I was given by the society that I trusted was based on half-triuths and out-right lies and misrepresntation.

If I feel this sick at remembering the possibility of my child dying for WTS blood policy. I cannot begin to know how a family feels who did lose their child because they trusted the WTS's "faithful and discrete slave" lied to them.

I would be out for blood (WT blood) and one of the first in line to test the law on this subject

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Hi, Sweetie!!! Enjoyed our little mini Apostagetogether last weekend!! You are as sweet and loveable in person as your screen personality here!! Well, I didn't lose anyone, but, back when I was still married, my ex had to go in and have open heart surgery. When I walked into the Intensive Care Unit after the surgery, I saw a bag of blood hanging above his head and immediately tensed up, thinking I was going to have to do battle with the blood issue..........it's been a long time, and memory is hazy because it was such a traumatic time, but, I was told that it was his own blood.......there was a brother with me, an elder, who had much experience with surgery and blood issues, as his daughter had been born with a heart defect and had been thru many many surgeries to repair it. He disappeared briefly, briefcase in hand, and I later learned that he had contacted the HLC and discussed the situation with them and had been told that it was a "conscience matter". I remember being very very confused but relieved at the time, but, guilty feeling at the same time...........I just couldn't see the difference with what I saw with my own eyes.........an obvious blood transfusion being given...........it just seemed so hypocritical and two faced of the brothers to allow this, yet, the Society constantly told us it was WRONG to accept blood...........I know now that it was just another form of WT twisted reasoning.........it bothered me for a long time after and I worried that I had made the wrong decision to allow it and somehow Jehovah would hold it against me..........

Terri

• serendipity
    serendipity

Lost my father - my mother signed the medical release on blood. I supported her decision. She still feels guilty to this day.

Almost lost my mother after a botched surgery- I signed the medical release on blood at that time. This pushed my mother into inactivity, because she felt a sense of betrayal by my actions (and then felt like a "bad JW") and felt guilty for feeling betrayed. To deal with it, she escaped into her job, becoming a workaholic and withdrew from the family for 15 years. So we lost her in a different manner.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit