The Big News: Should Religion Be Held Responsible For Its Teachings?

by Seeker4 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I posted this in the HUGE post by Barbara Anderson (yes, that one!). I'll provide the context of where you can find it in that post later. But, I've been contemplating this issue, and this is what I've boiled it down to.

Should a religion be held legally responsible for what it teaches, or can a religion, due to freedom of religion, just say anything it wants, back that up in any way it wants, and then walk away without any responsibility for the results of its teaching? Is that what freedom of religion in the US and many other countries means?

Here is my post from the legendary original "Bigger Than..." post

Gregor,

You addressed your post to me, specifically, and I'm not sure why. I think I may remember you from H2O, though I'm not positive. At any rate, I welcome you to JWD, and to this post in particular.

What you wrote still has my head spinning, and I will not comment on it at this time. E-mail me, and I'd love to talk with you. Your first three paragraphs say a mouthful, and I agree.

Your second paragraph totally strikes a chord with me: "In a nutshell, it's because it alludes to the potential (choose one); DOWNFALL, SERIOUS IMPEACHMENT, MORTAL BLOW, HUGE EMBARASSMENT, EXPOSED HYPOCRISY of an Organization that smugly nicknames itself "The Truth" and then has the unbelievable hubris to change it when it suits them. This is the bug I have been salivating over for more than 20 years."

Your history is remarkable. Glad you've decided to resurface. I think you'll find this particular development a "juicy bug" indeed.

One last comment. I just watched a Frontline program on PBS, where certain financial institutions and organizations were severely fined for "knowingly" misleading their investors.

Should religious organizations be any less legally liable for knowingly misleading their members in life and death issues? Why should religions be exempt for making written statements to their followers or potential followers that they know are out of context, misleading and at times outright lies? Religions have literally gotten away with murder for centuries based on a variety of legal, social and political platforms.

Is it not about time that religions - or other groups - have to accept some responsibility for the often deadly effects of their teachings - in particular teachings that have been knowingly bolstered by lies and deceit?

Why should anyone be able to create a body of thought that is scientifically or morally indefensible, back that body of thought up with lies, misleading statements, misquotes and deceptions, spread that body of thought as though from god himself-herself-or-itself, and threaten anyone who disagrees with it with eternal destruction in the future and severe shunning from friends and family in the present - and not have to accept responsibility for that teaching????

This is the ultimate question of The Big News, and perhaps one of the most important questions of our time. We're about to address it.

S4

• serendipity
    serendipity

Is this going to help Kimberlee Norris with her cases?

• Ticker
    Ticker

Seeker4 you might be onto something. Any one know what day its going to be announced?

Ticker

• serendipity
    serendipity

The news was announced in this post: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/103578/1.ashx

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

It's been announced. Now lets kick some ass with it.

S4

• Ticker
    Ticker

Oh thats great thanks for telling me Serendipity and Seeker. I just looked at the links, thanks for giving it. I hope it can be used right away, if it can and will be put into effect this could most definately be the Watchtowers demise. Im really pumped and hoping it will be.

Ticker

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Welcome Ted Jaracz

• carla
    carla

Ted Jarcacz??!! you must be joking! if it is, shame, shame, you shouldn't be here! You of all people should know that.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

So, Teddy, did you show up to demonstrate more organizational hypocrisy in the upper echelon?

Welcome! Unlike your meetings, all are welcome and can freely post their perspectives as long as they do not become abusive.

Seriously, does this joker think anyone would belive a 100 year old man is up posting on an apostate Web site at 11:30 PM?

AuldSoul

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Aw Ted,

your gb aren't fools just very naughty boys

Oh you mean us!?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit