How GREEN are you? How GREEN should we be?

by AK - Jeff 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

'Green' is rather a dirty word to me.

I come from an area that the so-called Conservationists have managed shut down - because what they have brought about is not "Conservation", it is "Preservation".

What is the difference?

Simple - "Preservation" allows no place for people.

Reefton Jack.

• Maryjane
    Maryjane

I recycle and take mass transit/walk, but that's about it. In 1992 I took an environmental science class and the professor did NOT have an optimistic outlook for the planet even then. He said even with recycling, if we keep consuming at the rate we are, in another 20 years the planet will be in DIRE environmental straits.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Jeff, I can't remember who the comedian was, but he made a joke about people who recycled and things of that nature. He said something like "the earth will be here long after we're dead and gone". I believe even if they nuked the whole planet that only the people would die. The plants and animal life have a way of coming back even after a catastrophic event.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Elsewhere - i am tempted to agree with your basic premise - but do not know if your facts are accurate for sure. DO you?

Even if the $ cost is greater to recycle than to get from the earth - how does that prove that it is more damaging to the earth? Most business decisions are based on the $ cost - not on the overall effect good/bad of the environment. When all the aluminum/steel/copper is sitting at the landfills and at the bottom of the ocean how will that make a difference? Non renewable resources are non renewable. And it is true also of the energy used to reconvert I suppose - but not entirely.

Of course what is really needed is a shift in the entire systematic destruction of these resources - putting our goods in enrironmentally friendly packages would help.

Jeff

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Dan the Man thought about joining the Voluntary Human Extinction Society? hehe

I have no children nor will I ever.

That's about the greenest decision anybody could make

.In resisting learning to drive this long I think I've done a fair bit. I even broke my leg and ankle on the very day I boked my driving test and now can't resume driving until long after my next operation in February!

And I am child-free through choice too.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Dan the Man thought about joining the Voluntary Human Extinction Society

not joining, I'm not inclined to join anything after my JW experience, lol

But I pretty much agree in principle with their views, i.e., humans as a cancer

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

I recycle everything I can.

I also moderate a Freecycle list because I believe very much in the Freecycle movement. I think Freecycle is great because it keeps useable items out of the landfills and helps people to obtain items they need. Not everyone even has the $1 it takes to buy an item at a thrift store.

I also don't buy make up that's tested on animals.

But I also drive a big truck and have no interest in a smaller hybrid vehicle.....Our truck is a tool for our house and lifestyle...its not a status thing. We use it to haul wood and materials etc.

Chrystal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit