Worksheet for JWs with doubts

by seattleniceguy 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Being a Witness involves accepting what you might call a "pyramid of belief." Witness doctrines are based on their interpretation of the Bible, which is in turn based on the belief that the Bible represents the word of God, which is in turn based on the belief that there is a God that communicates with humans, which is in turn based on the belief that the universe was intentionally constructed by an intelligent being. The JW belief system is thus the very top block on the pyramid of beliefs.

Witnesses are not in the habit of considering their beliefs in this way, so it can be eye-opening to take a look at what you honestly believe at each level of the pyramid. I've created a short worksheet to help in this. I strongly recommend printing it out or writing it down, rather than doing it on the computer. This is one of those cases where having it on paper in front of you really helps.

HOW TO USE
    It's very simple. For each belief, there is a continuum that stretches from absolute certainty to absolute disbelief. There are no marks in between - this is entirely up to you. For each proposition, make a mark on the continuum that describes your personal level of certainty about that particular idea. For example:

There is a tooth fairy:
    Absolute disbelief Absolute certainty
    |X---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

It is very important to be honest. Don't answer the way you think you ought to answer, as if someone were looking over your shoulder. Just mark down what you truly feel. That's the only way you will get anything out of the exercise. If you don't like the results, you can think about that later, but at least you will have an accurate picture of your belief system.

Ready? Here we go:

1. The universe was deliberately created.
    |----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

2. The universe was created by a single intelligent entity, God.

3. God has intervened in human affairs.

4. God caused the Bible to be written.

5. The history in the Bible is literally true. That is, humans were created from scratch 6000 years ago, a worldwide flood occurred wiping out all but eight humans about 4300 years ago, etc.

6. The Christian scriptures are literally true. That is, God caused a spirit person to be born in the flesh as Jesus, who performed actual miracles, was killed by the Sanhedrin, etc.

7. The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses constitutes the only channel of enlightenment to humankind.

8. God is about to destroy everyone on earth who he deems unrighteous.

9. There is no reliable path to salvation other than by being a Jehovah's Witness.

So, how'd you do?

SNG

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Absolutely true - 5; absolutely disbelief - 2; somewhere in the middle - 2.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

good concept. I started at the top with answers close to certain and by the bottom was close to disbelief, in fact you could almost draw a line straight through the points. It indicates it is easier to have a belief in God, harder to believe the bible, and most difficult to believe in only one religion.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

jwfacts,
    When I was a Witness having a crisis of faith (incidentally, not the one that got me out, but one that was eventually leading to that), I did this exercise as a way to sort out where I stood, kind of like drawing up a list of pros and cons for a decision you need to make.
    Like you, I had much more certainty at the top of the list than I did at the bottom. Looking back, I find it interesting, however, that I could not bring myself to mark anything as "absolutely certain." Even the existence of God, which I believed most strongly of all the items, got only 90% credibility, because I felt like it was unreasonable not to admit to other possibilities.
    SNG

• Honesty
    Honesty
    So, how'd you do? SNG

Pretty good until we got to question # 7 .

• jgnat
    jgnat

That is very good. I'd like to borrow it if I may.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

jgnat,
    By all means, go ahead!
    SNG

• defd
    defd

1 - 8 were absolute certainties 9 was mid way!

D.

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

Interesting exercise! In my case I was in the middle of the first questions until I got near the end and it became total disbelief which i'm guessing will be a pattern for a lot on this site. I would say my belief in God and the bible has sufferered since realising the reality of the witness teachings. I guess its a normal process to become cynical and distrustful at things.

Arnie

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I think the strength of this exercise lies in the fact that it does not aim to prove anything. The questions are phrased neutrally and do not lead anywhere except toward more and more JW-specific beliefs.
    There is something important about doing this on paper. The process of stepping back and seeing the ink on the page gives concreteness to what is otherwise fuzzy and undefined. I recall feeling slightly surprised when I looked at my own results.
    SNG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit