Higher Education

by XBEHERE 22 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

How can anyone put any weight in this statement? That 30% is inclusive of all majors, i.e., philosophy, foreign language, history, (just about any liberal arts), etc. But, as you know, 99.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.

• Butterfly75
    Butterfly75

The 30% statistic is very misleading. The statistic should be how many people don't end up in fields that require a college education. This percentage is probably very low. Many people major in Mathematics or English with no intention of working in those fields. I for example was a Mathematics major with really no idea what I wanted to do. I am now a Software Analyst. Did I get a job in my major, no. Do I have a job I could have gotten without a 4 year degree, no way.

Many corporate jobs do not have a direct major that links to it. (EX: Medical Reps, Buyers, Account Managers) They still will not higher someone without a 4 year degree. Also, Corporations are expecting higher education. There is no such thing as hiring the high school go getter anymore. Companies do not expect employees to stay for 30 years anymore so they want to invest the minimum necessary.

I think it is irresponsible not to encourage your children to seek some kind of post high school education. They are set themselves up to be dependant on the government down the road for food stamps or health needs. It is not appropriate to put yourself in a situation where you will not be able to meet your basic needs.

Not everyone needs to go college but unless you have an aptitude in a trade, I see no other option. Even in the trade fields it is great when you are young but unless you gain business skills and move into a desk job you will have a hard time when you are older.

• Spectre
    Spectre

Thats what I was thinking Butterfly. I've seen a book that I want to get, the title is something like, How To Lie With Statistics. I think maybe the WTBTS has maybe put the book to use, no?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit