What is faith REALLY?

by Silverleaf 47 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

Just as religion is the opium of the people, I believe non-personal faith (organised religion) to be institutional paranoia.

I was too far out... and not waving but drowning - Stevie Smith

• philo
    philo

Faith: the intellectual suspension of disbelief. The final expression of defeated reasoning. The assured expectation of things hoped for, that one does not intend to work for. The blindfold of the subjective to the objective. philo

• larc
    larc

Winston,

If God talked to me like he did Abraham, it would not be a matter of faith. It would be a matter of knowledge. If God said to me in a strong, clear voice to go do something, I would say, "OK big guy, what ever you say."

• Winston
    Winston

Larc,

So if God did tell you directly to do something you would do it.

I think your actions would then be an expression of faith, and good use of knowledge.

What if he told you to go out to the desert and live in tents and you did it. I think that action would be your expression of faith in Him.

Abraham had a choice and he didn't have to live as an alien or as good as offer up his son as a sacrifice.

He trusted God and he did both.

Former elder turned apostate (by WT definition)[:)}and proud of it!

• SC
    SC

Larc,
    I was wondering if you heard a voice that you thought was possibly God? What if it was satan and not Jehovah? If "he" told you to move away or leave your wife for another woman, what would you do? Wouldn't you do some research first to see if it would be something that God would ask of you?

SC

• larc
    larc

Folks,

There is nothing more compelling than a booming vioce from the heavens, especially if it is accompanyed by thunder and lightning. Yeh, I would have faith that he was giving me the straight skinny. As far as me leaving my wife for another woman, I am sure my wife would understand if God told me. Of course, I would try to get my conversation with God on tape. Otherwise, she might think I'm making it up.

• Winston
    Winston

Larc,

Would that be audio or video tape?

• larc
    larc

Winston,

I guess it would have to be audio, since he is invisible. At least that's what I have been told by those who haven't seen him. Now, if he did make himself manifest, I hope he would show up in the sky looking like an old white male with a long white flowing beard, just like the Renassance painters painted him. Now, if I captured him on video looking like that, I know my wife would believe me.

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

Silverleaf;

Faith according to the NWT:
    Faith is the assured exception of things hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities not beheld. Heb11:1

I used to believe that in light of what the WT teaches. With their erroneous history, no current member can be assured of anything and certainly the WT does not deal in realities.

HCM

• Winston
    Winston

Larc,

Maybe you ask if you could do a miracle or 2 since tapes can be altered and your wife knows that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit