self-defense

by SPAZnik 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

what comes to mind when you hear those words?

• Ellie
    Ellie

Nothing much comes to mind except I strongly believe every person should take self defense classes.

• poppers
    poppers

Ego protection

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

What comes to mind is 2 guys(drunk) behind you as you walk to your car after work......

They didn't let me in my car, and I had to fight them off of me. Thank god I kept my cool, and used my head. So I took my car keys poked one in the eye and then kneed him in the cookies. Since that worked so well his friend ran off. I hopped in my Jeep scared the hell out of him as I tried to run him over.

That comes to mind.

Brooke

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Ellie - I too believe self defense classes can be beneficial. More for the emotions and psyche of the "victim" than for the physical protection, because there is always someone that is a better fighter. Which do you think would have a more real benefit to our everyday lives, self defense classes (of a mainly physical nature) or conflict resolution training (of the talky-talky variety)?

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

'kay, how bout if I say

self-defense and jws?

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS requires JW women to put up a fight if they are attacked but they can't take self-defense classes or carry a weapon, like Mace. At least in this area.

Self-defense--making sure you hurt your attacker to the point that they can't get up.

http://www.chimerainc.org/files/philosophy.html

Chimera

• whyamihere
    whyamihere
    whyamihere - you said cookies. :O wow sounds like quite the ordeal...was it something you had foreseen/rehearsed/prepared for in advance?

In High school....I was taught in Phy ed. I thought it would come in handy. They even taught us to hold a key in the correct manner that would aid us to poke their eye.

I am glad I was taught.

Brooke

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

whyamihere - sounds like it worked out to your advantage in that situation. i've heard reports of "weapons" being turned on the victim when they are overpowered by their "assailants". it must have been scary/maddening/intimidating to not be let in your car. sounds like you were prepared enough to know how to accomplish your objective (of getting in your car).

blondie - your comments remind me that there are several different stances jws have on self defense that seem quite contradictory to me. The main "blood" boilers being 1) the blood issue, 2) sexual assault and 3) non-sexual assault.

1 - defend self vigorously against blood transfusions and blood in your pepperoni pizza out of "respect for life" (but don't worry about what kind of by-product and mad-cow disease containing feed is fed to the meat you eat and Partial blood transfusions are OK)

and 2 - defend self vigilantly against sexual advances against anyone you're not married to by....screaming. (That'll show 'em).

but on the other hand

3- do not learn to defend self against physical harm cause you might become blood-guilty in the process if you end up killing someone.

Perhaps at your judicial hearing you will be told you should have called 911 and hoped for the best response time by the local authorities cuz now you're guilty of manslaughter cuz the rapist bumped his head when you threw him offa her and we have to reprove you now.

oh the ridiculi.

Basically, the message the jws seem to send time and again is "don't fear man, fear god. But actually only fear the wts "man". Do as We say, not as your creator instilled it in you to do by your very nature and best judgement in any given situation. You are answerable to Us. We have and will exert the power to dabble in your life, but you are not entitled to exercise your own power and best judgment. You are guilty until proven innocent. If you can't prove yourself innocent beyond a shadow of a doubt, we simply have no choice but to protect Jehoba's name in our righteous indignation by deeming you guilty. And remember, Jehoba only disciplines those he loves."

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Guess I'm on a bit of a rant. *blush*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit