Rebellious angels.....why were they men and not women?

by gumby 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• under74
    under74

does it really matter if Lilith was put in the Bible? Look females got more than there fairshare of evil doers in the bible...big deal if males got a couple rotten angels. Hell, Eve to this day is still blamed for the end of Eden....even though Adam didn't have to be an idiot and bite. Right?

• robhic
    robhic

I didn't think the angels were supposed to be "up to the task" regardless.

Matthew 22:29-30 (NWT):
    "In reply Jesus said to them: "You are mistaken, because you know neither the scriptures nor the power of God; for in the resurrection neither do men marry nor are women given in marriage, but are as angels in heaven."

Did that mean the angels didn't marry and therefore didn't do the nasty or that the angels in heaven just didn't marry? Now I've confused myself but when you think about it, who'd want to be "doing it" with their special person in a place ruled by some guy reported to be able to see everything?

Plus, I also thought I remember seeing that the angels were sexless (as in gender). My head hurts...

Robert

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Gumby(sexual? )

In Isaiah 34:14 Lilith is a female character (the verb is feminine). As far as the Bible is concerned some think she also appeared in Job 18:15 and the Hebrew text was corrupted.

If you have a look at the different pages of the site I linked to you'll see she has a long mythological history both before and after the "Bible"...

Btw, the "sons of (the) god(s)" in Genesis 6 are not "angels" either as far as the Hebrew Bible is concerned: the most natural meaning of the expression there is "gods". Only in the so-called intertestamental literature (notably 1 Enoch and Jubilees) -- and the NT are they identified as "angels".

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Yes GUMBY - that's my problem - although they took on the appearance of (normal-looking) men, the DNA was a tad 'wrong' as all their kids were a little on the tall side !

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Because, Gumby women aren't going to leave a place like heaven to come down to the earth, make bodies and have sex with anyone. Though earthling women love sex and it gets them in trouble all the time, Angel women just wouldn't have felt the need to come make families. They would have been eyewitnesses to the slavelike status of women. Comin' down here and being slaves to housework, cooking, dirty diapers? Sex wouldn't have been worth all that pain.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

The bible pretty often only mentions men and not women though, sometimes it does mean both. And other times like blondie said, women had no status so why include them.

• startingover
    startingover

Good topic Gumby

The point about angels being creators, interesting...

I'm sure Runningman will get in on this thread, but he had some interesting things to say about it in this thread.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/94016/1.ashx

• Dune
    Dune

Well if you dont believe in the bible, you'd attribute it to the fact that men of that time wouldnt have been able to fathom the idea of a feminine God let alone a feminine idea of an angel.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Since we're talking about gender, I find it so interesting that the gospel of John stands out in all the NT in the attention it gives to women. It has a brief bit about Jesus and his mother at the marriage at Cana (ch. 2), the story about the Samaritan woman at the well (ch. 4), the story of the adulterous woman in some manuscripts of John (ch. 8), the story about Mary of Bethany and Martha (ch. 11), Mary's anointing of Jesus (ch. 12, named in John, where she is anonymous in the other gospels), the women at the cross (ch. 19), the story of the women at the tomb (ch. 20), and the personal resurrection appearance to Mary Magdalene (ch. 20). In the synoptics, women figure only in the nativity narrative, the anonymous anointing of Jesus, a healing story or two, and the visit of the women to the tomb. The author of John goes through the trouble of fleshing out his female characters and acknowledges that their deeds can have real significance (i.e. the faith of the Samaritan woman leading the whole town to believe in Jesus, a crowd of Jews believing in Jesus following Mary from Bethany to Jerusalem, Mary Magdalene being the first to believe that Jesus has risen and the first to tell others of this).

• gumby
    gumby
    Btw, the "sons of (the) god(s)" in Genesis 6 are not "angels" either as far as the Hebrew Bible is concerned: the most natural meaning of the expression there is "gods". Only in the so-called intertestamental literature (notably 1 Enoch and Jubilees) -- and the NT are they identified as "angels".

Narkster.....yer blowin my whole thread dammit! So yer saying the Watchtower society is wrong and angels didn't really sleep with earthlings? If Jehovah could wrestle with Jacob and eat with Abraham....why couldn't angels become men and have sex? Is Jehovah the only one who can turn into a human at will? Didn't angels guard the Garden of Eaden's gates with a material eartlhy swords?

*stomps off*

Mysteriousness,

The bible pretty often only mentions men and not women though, sometimes it does mean both. And other times like blondie said, women had no status so why include them.

The bible only mentions male births also......about 99.9% of the timeLeolaia, I think John is the favorite book of many. I'll bet the women think he's hot too cuz he likes girlsFlyin....I didn't know girls got into trouble with sex Gumphelim

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit