Erickson says Poms scared of the Aussies in World Cup!

by ozziepost 33 Replies latest social physical

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

From today's news service:

Eriksson wary of Socceroos 9:29 AM December 9

England football coach Sven-Goran Eriksson says his side will have no fear of Brazil or Argentina at next year's World Cup, but he does want to avoid Australia in tomorrow morning's draw.

Though he believes a seeded England are better equipped to face the world's elite in 2006 than they were in 2002, Eriksson is bracing himself for a tricky draw in Leipzig.

"Holland, Australia and the United States would be the worst for us," the England coach told reporters.

"On paper, Holland are the best non-seeded team. Marco Van Basten is building a new team and has been very successful with it."

Looking at the other pots from which England's group rivals will emerge, Eriksson said: "The United States and Australia desperately want to beat England in a big tournament. That would be a big boost for their countries."

England's long-standing sporting rivalry with Australia has reached new heights in recent times with the country's cricketers winning back the Ashes earlier this year, and their rugby triumph over Australia in the 2003 World Cup final.

However, Eriksson has unhappy memories of their last meeting on a football pitch.

The Socceroos defeated England 3-1 in a sharply contested friendly in February 2003 at Upton Park, which he now regrets having organised.

"It was far away from a friendly match," Eriksson recalled. "They desperately wanted to beat us and they did."

Unaware of the intensity of the old rivalry, he admitted: "I never knew. If I had known about it, I wouldn't have played Australia because it was not a friendly game at all." Source: Reuters

Interesting how Erickson admits the 3-1 thrashing at Upton Park wasn't so 'friendly', eh?

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Yeah Australia was vicious in that game...

I think australia's next target is going to be the USA after the america coach basically labelled us as easybeats for the next world cup....

I can't believe the US is ranked 8th in the world. The FIFA ranking system is a bit of a joke.. Can't wait for the aussies to do some ass whooping on you yanks! hehehe. I just hope we're in the same group.

DK (who's probably about to get his head blown off by some peeved off yankie apostates).

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Thats right England BE AFRAID BE VERY AFRAID...

We have Guus Hiddinck as our coach and you should be trembling in your football boots. Because when we get to Germany we are going to kick some english butt! HURRAH FOR THE SOCCEROOS.

P.S. Guus Hiddinck for Prime Minister

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Guus Hiddinck for Prime Minister

Silly though that sounds (he's a Dutch national), such is the relief of finally getting past the Uruguay hoodoo and such is the distate of the present PMs proposed Industrial Relations laws, that he'd probably be a "shoe-in" if he ran!

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Guus should be made an honourary aussie, and given a lifetime supply of Vic Bitter. There should be at least one pub in every capital city named after him. But in my books, Schwarzer should be PM... And if Jehooova ever decides to resign from his position of "Supreme Being", then i nominate Mark Shwarzer to take his place :D

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Shwarzer!! Oi, oi, oi!

Shwarzer!! Oi, oi, oi!

Shwarzer!! Oi, oi, oi!

Shwarzer!! Oi, oi, oi!

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

let the mind games begin

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Maaaannnn... I had about 5 heart attacks during that game!!

The worst was when viduka missed his penalty kick...

Oh what memories... When Aloisi sunk his shot into the back of the net i think that was SWEETEST sporting moment I had ever experienced, I can't believe it's still so fresh in my mind. I still get the adrelinen rush when i think about it. :D

DK

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Erickson is just playing mind games, I doubt we would have much to fear in a real competitive match anyway

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Just remember Ozzie - England's long-standing sporting rivalry with Australia has reached new heights in recent times with the country's cricketers winning back the Ashes earlier this year, and their rugby triumph over Australia in the 2003 World Cup final.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit