Holidays: Do you celebrate?

by Vitameatavegamin 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    This year maybe I will go trick or treating as a borg. WHo knows?

Good one! Remember to wear a blue safari (leisure) suit, a huge bookbag with JW in large letter and a Groucho Marx disguise (thick glasses and a moustache are permissable).

• Tina
    Tina

ooooooooooooo mommie! Homemade gingersnaps!!?? Save me a few luv,Tina

We get double xmas's and easters due to the huge russian orthodox churches here. Those Ukrainian easter eggs are works of art! Gonna try decorating them again this year. Cinco de Mayo is a biggie here too-large hispanic pop. I love the diversity of cultures here.I get all the holidays . I did just miss the Lilith fair tho :<

The Mexican pop. here do "day of the Dead'. They make these altars on tables,put them outside the house. It's filled with breads,fruits,wine and candles.I think it's a tribute to their dead loved ones(anyone correct me if Im wrong here) I was in Mexico for a couple of those. Some people dress up . Skeletons,like they're dead....interesting.

When I was a little girl my Dad,who was RC had all these 'feast days'. They used to have a small parade carrying a statue of the saint thru the neighborhoods. People would kiss it's feet and pin money on it.Ours was St.Rocco,tho a few others used to go around.
    Anyway just a few tidbits.T

• soylibre
    soylibre

I love all holidays, I think they are an opportunity for families and friends to draw close together and share traditions.....Last Thanksgiving we had dinner with other EX-JW friends and we had about 15-20 exJW's at our house for Christmas dinner....we had a great time and I enjoyed it thoroughly and I have a two-year old who I look forward to celebrating with more fully this year....He didn't really know what was up last year... I love birthdays....they're so special...I think traditions are good, they're what bind people together....I say do it....and do them all....hell I'll celebrate them all....from Ground Hog Day to New Year's Day!

• rodnico
    rodnico

I guess I am the odd one out. I don't mind holidays or birthdays, but they don't really mean anything to me. I have a take it or leave it attitude. It gets me in trouble because I always forget my friends birthdays. Maybe this will change if I have a family?

I do have a favorite holiday; Valentines Day! I like that day. The only reason I can figure is because when I was in school that was the only day my mother did not take me out. So I would watch as the kids gave each other cards/gifts/candy. And Halloween like bboyneko. Halloween is fun.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit