Love Bombing JWs vs JWD

by Lady Lee 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Great post Lady Lee. Its not quite true of everyone on here, though (the continued love bombing). The popular posters seem to have more of that. When my brother's fire hit and I could have really used some support I got little of it from posters here, just a few people. I'm not trying to be a victim, nor are my feelings hurt. I recognize that not all of us have the type personality to draw that type of friendship. My social skills have never been great for lots of reasons. Just pointing that out.

However, I am NOT stumbled! Why? Because there isn't a common direction here, a charismatic leader or group of leaders, a common mission, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum. Its just like the real world. And in the real world shit happens!

Sherry

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Gretchen I didn't know about your brother's situation. Sometimes the board goes so fast that it is hard to keep up.

Over time I have realized that posting at various times during the week or day makes a huge difference in what gets responded to. Believe me I have my share of few-response threads. Actually probably most of mine get few posts while other threads quickly get pages and pages of posts. But what they do get is more people looking at it. I've learned to stop looking at how many respond. Maybe many of us aresocially disadvantaged after being a JW. I know I feel that way a lot

Hope your brother is doing OK now.

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

this is interesting...I never heard the term love bombing before joining this forum. but makes total sense -- it always made me uncomfortable the way anyone coming in off the street to the kh would be treated like a rock star as long as they expressed interest. this even included people released from the nearby prison and others with obvious mental issues. good post -- explains a lot that I've always thought was strange about the org but didn't know the official terminology.

• loosie
    loosie

And LadyLee, we will keep talking to you even if your opinion differs from ours. amazing isn't it?

• heretic
    heretic

no brainer container..
    lol

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

Maybe the new tag line of JWD should be:

JWD, home of the cyber hug.

or maybe:

JWD, you deserve a cyber hug today.

LOL

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    ,"Cluster F**k"...

My husband was over in Vietnam. He uses that term. Were you in 'Nam?

• Gary1914
    Gary1914

I

can also see how this works for kids who were born in and knew the jargon. JW kids have a hard life in the WTS. Acceptance is conditional and they know it. They are pushed to perform (ministry school, commenting at meetings, service and vacation pioneering, getting baptized). Like the rest of JWs it was never enough or good enough. This is so hard on the developing self esteem. I can see how kids would do just about anything to feel part of the group and get the acceptance they needed. As the child enters their teens the pressure to conform and get baptized gets stronger. The negative attention for not getting baptized is strong. So the child caves in to the pressure in a desire to get the unconditional love that is so needed.

Lady Lee, this is the story of my life! I am a 4th generation JW and the pressure to conform was fierce and is still fierce.

• jgnat
    jgnat

My first visits to the hall generated a lot of interest. For some reason these absolute strangers wanted my phone number, patted me on my back, my shoulder, my arm.... I was already on to them though (done my research), which might explain my intense "creepiness" reaction. I backed away. There was no intimacy in thought, ideas, or background. They knew next to nothing about me. The close physical contact had not been earned.

Another feature I noticed was the fishbowl atmosphere. There was an an inordinate interest in everyone else's affairs. A senior lady was offended that I hadn't told her I was married to a member there on our first meeting. The poor thing had to catch up on the internal grapevine during the week. She rushed up to ask me why I hadn't shared that tidbit the second time we met. I had the sense that these twenty or so families had no-one else to talk to. So they lived for news from the hall, and the tidbits from other congregations. I guess that comes from lack of outside interests.

So is that what happens here? We do swarm some newbies, if they catch a particular interest. Or especially if they are still sitting on the fence. But I don't sense that same closed-in feeling I got at the hall. We are free to expand our horizons and include other social circles. Have a life, in other words. We also want to KNOW something about the newcomer. JWD almost demands a little opening-up, before we are intimate in return. That is a healthy sign, I figure.

Don't you just love those newbie thread where they just pour their experience out? Like a dam breaking, I sense it may have been the first time they have just let loose, and told it all. To an audience who understands.

And then, the sweethearts, they apologize for taking our time. I feel like saying, "NO, NO, it's my favorite part of JWD. You wrote from your soul. That's ALWAYS welcome."

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Gary

Lady Lee, this is the story of my life! I am a 4th generation JW and the pressure to conform was fierce and is still fierce.

In my family I totally caved to this pressure. I needed desperately to belong somewhere. When I started to post this I wasn't thinking of those born-ins but that just came out. I am so glad I got out before my daughters got pressured to conform. At least they only got it from their father and could come home and ignore him.

jgnat

my intense "creepiness" reaction. I backed away

You sure know how to make me laugh. When you see it for what it is I suspect it would creep a person out.

Don't you just love those newbie thread where they just pour their experience out? Like a dam breaking, I sense it may have been the first time they have just let loose, and told it all. To an audience who understands.
    When I first went for counseling this is exactly what I did. Just sat there and spewed out my story for the poor worker. I was so desperate for anyone to really hear me and know I wasn't crazy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit