DEVI YESODHARAN

TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ TUESDAY,

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie
    NGOs hit pay dirt on dollar trail Add to Clippings
    DEVI YESODHARAN

TIMES NEWS NETWORK [ TUESDAY, JANUARY 20, 2004 07:12:37 AM]
    NRI Special Offer!
    MUMBAI: Foreign donors seem to be in a generous mood when it comes to funding non-governmental organisations (NGOs) in India. Foreigners loosened their purse strings to the extent of Rs 4,871.9 crore in ’01-02, up 7.4% from Rs 4,535.5 crore in ’00-01. There has also been a change in the list of the top receivers of foreign funds in the country.
    The little-known Bochasanwasi Akshar Purushotam Sanstha (BAPS), a Gujarat-based organisation, tops the receivers list with foreign donations of Rs 107.5 crore. BAPS has seen a 280% jump in foreign funding over two years, rising from 26th place in ’00 with receipts of Rs 28.3 crore to the top of the list of receivers in ’01-02. Gospel for Asia with Rs 98.9 crore is the second highest recipient, while the World Vision of India with Rs 88.4 crore is in third place, according to data collated from the home ministry’s latest annual report.
    BAPS is also the first time a voluntary organisation to have received over Rs 100 crore in foreign funds, the previous high being Rs 88.2 crore by the Sathya Sai Trust in ’00-01. For ’00-01, the top three beneficiaries were the Sri Sathya Sai Trust, World Vision India and the Watchtower and Bible Tract Society. It is also interesting to note that two of the top three receivers (BAPS and Gospel for Asia) of funds in ’01-02 are religious organisations.
    In ’00-01, Rs 284 crore was received for religious activities by Indian organisations. This has risen by 37.6% to Rs 391 crore in ’01-02. On an average, Indian religious organisations have received around 10% of total FCRA (Foreign Contributions Regulations Act) regulated foreign fund inflows since 1991.
    Thirteen of the top 25 receivers of foreign funds in India are religious organisations, both Hindu and Christian. Several of these organisations are involved in social causes; the building of schools, housing for the poor, literacy and so on, besides religious activities.
    Delhi continues to top the list of receiving states with Rs 794.4 crore going to 839 organisations.
  • YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

One can only wonder what they do with all those funds...

• skyman
    skyman

I need to find a way to love off others

• Satanus
    Satanus

My little business is an ngo (nongovernmental org). Anyone wishing can send me funds.

S

Ps, why haven't i been recieving any?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

While you are technically correct, Satanus, the term is usually only applicable to non-profit and not-for-profit charitable organizations when it is applied to donations. Is your business a 501 filing status?

AuldSoul

• Satanus
    Satanus
    Is your business a 501 filing status?

Um, i'm not sure. I am not registered as a nonprofit org. However, i don't make a profit, just a living. The construction business can always use extra funding

S

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

LOL!

Ah, ya Dum-as, you!

• Golf
    Golf

And the WTB&TS teaches its' adherents to be no part of the world and yet ignore Jehovahs command, ".., quit touching the unclean thing" (former member of NGO)I guess what's good for the goose is not good for the gander.

Golf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit