how do JW's handle being witnessed to by other religious evangelizers?

by limbogirl 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

The only other people that have called on our doorstep are the mormons. They were always treated with respect, a short conversation sometimes and other times a simple 'Not Interested'.

I think its appalling that a JW would be so rude to someone who called on their door. They want people to be pleasant to them but think they can get away with being unreasonable and down right rude to others. What a fine witness!

• Schizm
    Schizm
    ...many JWs will see the church member coming to their door as a harmful part of apostate, unsaved Christendom, which may reflect in the manner they speak to them. Quite ironic, really.

Yes, that's true, but it's just the way it has to be, because two opposing views cannot both be right. JWs see the church member coming to their door as more than simply a "church member". The person is veiwed as being a promoter of false religion. And it is this that accounts for the change of stance as compared to a Witness talking to that same church member at that person's home.

• blakky
    blakky

I wasnt there at the door, and dont know what was said between your mum and the two girls...

But keep in mind Jdubs getting battered, plastered with verbal assualt and sometimes physical abuse when they go preaching.

I dont think your mum 'having a go' at the girls did any harm. At least the the girls know how Jdubs feel like when going to someones door.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I have to say I find it really, really annoying, and infuriating. Finally I know how I made other people feel when I was a JW.

Our youngest son has warned his in laws to not bring it up with us. Both of his wife's parents are pastors. It must kill them to keep quiet but they do. When we first met them about 6 years ago, we were pretty newly out of the JW's and they thought they had found some fresh meat and the mother, especially, kept preaching "Jesus this" and "Jesus that" until I wanted to strangle her. My son is very sensitive to my moods, and caught on that I was about to blow and stopped her. There hasn't been a problem since.

Our other daughter in law is a very involved Christian, but she is respectful of us, and only talks about what she is doing at church, not what they preach.

I consider myself to be a spiritual person, but I am NOT religious, and am totally and completely turned OFF by any organized religion. So they had better leave me alone. I will be polite at first and just tell them I don't discuss religion, but if they persist, I might lose my cool, my maturity, and my dignity. It's a strong issue with me. I completely respect a person's choice to be involved in a church, and if it makes them happy and works for them, all the better. Just don't try to get me involved too. I'm perfectly happy, thank you, not being in a church or group.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I pester my husband when I spot an evangelical bumper sticker and the like. Remember, I'm on the northern end of the bible belt here in Alberta. He guffaws that they could be misguided. His favorite, "WARNING, in case of rapture, vehicle may lose control."

• Schizm
    Schizm
    I pester my husband

I can believe that!

• jgnat
    jgnat

If you ever met him, you'd know why he deserves it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit