All Scripture is Inspired

by belbab 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• belbab
    belbab

All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work. New World Translation

Question:

All Scripture is interpreted by the Watchtower as only referring to the Holy Scriptures, and by Holy Scriptures they mean the canon of the Bible which is in their translation. In view of the fact that the writings of the Greek Scriptures have quotes from other non canonical books does Paul"s All Scripture only refer to Holy Scriptures?

The adjective Holy implies that there exist scriptures that are not so holy.

In the previous verse 15 the Greek text uses the term Holy Scriptures. The word for scriptures is not the same as the word for scriptures in verse 16.

In verse 16 cited above the word Holy is not there.

I am investigating whether all scripture, written down through history, whether on clay tablets, stone papyrus or paper or online is not beneficial for teaching.

What other references of quotes in the Bible indicate that the writers used other writings for there teachings?

I hope I have made my question clear.

belbab

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

What was considered "scripture" at the time Paul wrote that? Much of what we think of as scripture wasn't even written yet. (The Book of Revelation, for instance. [I think, certain the letters of John.]) At a guess, I would think Paul was referring to the Old Testament, though I don't know what books he considered part of the canon at that time.

Dave

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

belbab....The phrase in v. 15 is hiera grammata "sacred writings", employing gramma "writing" instead of graphé "scripture" which occurs in v. 16. The word gramma can apply to any piece of writing, hence the qualification by hiera while graphé already implies sacredness. You appear to have confused the two words together (they are derived from the same root).

As for the use of "scriptures" in the NT that are no longer regarded as "scripture" in Christianity, see my two posts on this:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/85223/1.ashx

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/80498/1.ashx

That the author of 2 Timothy (likely not Paul) was in touch with noncanonical traditions can be seen just a few verses earlier, in his allusion to the story of Jannes and Jambres (2 Timothy 3:8, cf. the Book of Jannes and Jambres).

• mdb
    mdb

The only Scriptures the early church had (prior to the letters to the church - the NT canon), was the Old Testament. So when Jesus said, "You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life.", He was speaking of the OT. That means you can find much evidence of Jesus Christ in the OT. They speak of Him often and refer to Him as God, Lord, and Savior. Divine, not created.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    The only Scriptures the early church had (prior to the letters to the church - the NT canon), was the Old Testament.

mdb, you should click on Leolaia's links above and read.

• mdb
    mdb

Narkissos,

But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them, and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Tim 3:14-17 NKJV)

And thou -- be remaining in the things which thou didst learn and wast entrusted with, having known from whom thou didst learn, and because from a babe the Holy Writings thou hast known, which are able to make thee wise -- to salvation, through faith that [is] in Christ Jesus; every Writing [is] God-breathed, and profitable for teaching, for conviction, for setting aright, for instruction that [is] in righteousness, that the man of God may be fitted -- for every good work having been completed. (2 Tim 3:14-17 Literal Translation)

You cannot take the second verse containing the phrase "every writing" out of context. In the context of the passage, Paul is clearly speaking of the Holy Writings indicated in verse 15. The "Writings" in verse 16 are God-breathed (inspired by God) which makes them Holy and infallible since God is Holy. It is obvious that Paul is speaking of the Holy Scriptures here. God would not lead His children to some other "writings" other than His Holy Word for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness. (This is not to say that there are not writings or books in existence which have been written by holy men of God, that are beneficial for us and that contain truth within their pages - they do exist).

Leolaia's two posts are far too long for me to go through right now. Sorry.

• belbab
    belbab

Dave, right on, sees comments below.

Leoliea, you sure know how to water the camels. And drawn from such a deep well too. Thank God, you managed to escape from the taliban-like thought police before they put a halter and burka on you.

From the links you directed me to, I see that there is no fixed boundary whatsoever, between Holy Scripture, semi-wholly scripture, engravings on an ancient tyrant’s wall or plain ole down-to-earth graffiti in a public privy. And the time frame is from the days of Enoch down to the first and second centuries and no doubt you would continue it down to our day.

For discussion purposes of 2 Tim 3:14-16, I have copied the following from Nark’s post from the second link, which expresses concisely, what I was trying to say in this thread.

Like (slightly caricaturing) "anything you can find anywhere which is upbuilding to you and seems to confirm your faith is inspired of God and beneficial".

Paul reminds Timothy, that from infant sacred writings you have known, the (ones) being able you to make wise into salvation through faith. (WT interlinear) (I need help with the Greek here, does the (ones) refer back to sacred writings or are sacred writings without an article)

In any case, it would not be reasonable to believe that Timothy’s grandmother and mother would have access to all the many writings especially since many of them had not even been written. Whatever part they did have, would have been sufficient to establish their faith.

While Paul was writing to Timothy, was he telling him that what he was writing was part of All Scripture? He did tell him he was an apostle, but does that make his writings God inspired and hence automatically a part of the accepted Canon of his day.

In 2 Cor. 4:4 Paul says that the god of the age this blinded the mental powers of the unbelievers. (WT interlinear). Cannot this god (theos) use god-breathed scriptures to accomplish his designs?

1John 4:1 Loved (ones) not to every spirit be you believing, but to be proving the spirits if out the God it is. (WT interlinear)

If any of my words here are in error, diabolic, that is in opposition of what someone else holds sacred, would they not be useful for setting me straight in harmony with other accepted writings? Can I go against the orthodox consensus?

Upon what basis is any scripture called Holy? Who chooses the bible canon? Many of the Writings Leoliea has listed survived because some group made them sacred in their eyes and preserved them in isolated places. The Nag Hammadi writings were carefully hidden so they would not be destroyed because they were considered sacred or holy by somebody, but others thought they were garbage and destined for burning. Thank God for diversity.

Mdb . I realize that reading 2Tim 3:14-16 can have different meanings for different readers. It is not easy to switch meanings. As I read these verses my mind switches from one to the other. At times I wonder which opinion will prevail. From between expressed differences of opinion what is so will flow forth eventually.

belbab, I shall return.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

There is a saying that some use "It's all good" All scripture is inspired (has a spiritual component) Maybe the language translating ears of jwism hear it as, "All scripture is appropriate for making rules, teaching those rules - and enforcing those rules"

Pragmatically, the latter has nothing to do with saying "scripture is inspired"

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Belbab,

2 Pet. 3:16 certainly puts Paul's letters on the same level as the books of the Old Testament.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Yep, the Gita, Vesta, Quran, Aqdas etc. All inspired!

carm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit