I just had some fun with dubs at my door.

by JeffT 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Confession
    Confession

Def'd,

Yes, when I was one of Jehovah's Witnesses I used to say Jesus was my King and that the Society was the slave He used. But what did our actions as JWs demonstrate?

If you and I lived in an actual "kingdom," with a human "King" in power, and we regarded ourselves as willing subjects of that King, how would we regard that King's statutes? Let's say that this King had made clear he would hold us personally accountable for the way we conducted our lives in harmony with these statutes. And let's say that there had developed several clusters of the King's subjects who had created their own authority structures--and that they all had differing claims about how best to live in accord with the statutes.

How would you and I make decisions about what was right or wrong in this regard? Would we use our own minds? Or place implicit trust in one of those authority structures? I submit that, since the King made clear we would be held personally accountable, we would lead our lives--not by the word of these men--but by the use of our own minds and consciences. Again, what do the actions of JWs demonstrate?

While it's true that individual JWs sometimes are led by their own consciences, it's also true that the Watchtower Society constantly warns them not to have "independent thinking." And by that they ultimately mean, "independent of the Watchtower Society's teaching." When doctors tell a Witness they need a blood transfusion and the Witness refuses, are they really doing so of their own conscience? Certainly this is what the Society would suggest. But when that doctor tells the individual that a new type of procedure utilizing blood now has the favor of the Society, usually that JW patient brightens and becomes willing to accept it.

Do they ask about the particulars? Usually not. Do they understand what the real difference is between an "acceptable" and "unacceptable" procedure? Not normally. Do they really consider the issue prayerfully, asking what Jehovah really wants? Not as a final element in the decision, no. The only question that will govern the decision of most any JW is: What does the Watchtower Society say about it?

The scriptures tell us not to put our trust in nobles. Any shepherding Jesus intended did not suggest anything CLOSE to what legalistic and authoritarian religions like that of the Watchtower Society have created for their followers. I know the organization may not have intended this from the beginning, but I'm afraid the toothpaste is out of the tube. They have created an organization that requires its adherents to give them the place of "mediator" or even "King" over Jesus Christ Himself.

• defd
    defd

confession that is not how I feel. If the FDS would say to me tomarrow That it ok to go to war and fight. I would not do it. If they told me it is now ok tosteal I would not do it.

D.

• Confession
    Confession

Pleased to hear, Def'd. You are aware, though, that the WTS teaches that it is the sole channel of communication from Jehovah to the rest of the planet, correct? And you are aware that taking the position that you would not always follow its direction would be regarded as "independent thinking," which would alienate you from Jehovah, right?

• defd
    defd

Pleased to hear, Def'd. You are aware, though, that the WTS teaches that it is the sole channel of communication from Jehovah to the rest of the planet, correct? And you are aware that taking the position that you would not always follow its direction would be regarded as "independent thinking," which would alienate you from Jehovah, right? I am aware that they are the Channel of Communication from God. However if they were to tell us to do something that is not pleasing to Jehovah, than He expects us not to obey. In Ancient times when GODS APPOINTED Kings ruled over Isreal the people were expected to obey. However when some Kings turned to unfaithfulness by setting up idols and images and commanded the people to obey, would Jehovah expect them to obey? If they didnt obey would Jehovah punish them. No! Same today. D.

• Confession
    Confession
    I am aware that they are the Channel of Communication from God. However if they were to tell us to do something that is not pleasing to Jehovah, than He expects us not to obey.

But if they are the "Channel of Communication from God," how do you know that something they might tell you to do is "not pleasing to Jehovah?" What are you using as your basis to decide right from wrong?

• defd
    defd

The Bible! It is the Authority on what is pleasing to God or not.

D.

• Confession
    Confession
    The Bible! It is the Authority on what is pleasing to God or not.

This too is something the Society teaches. But isn't it the "Channel's" position to make clear the meaning of the Bible? What if your understanding of a scripture is in error? How can you independently draw a conclusion apart from God's Channel?

• defd
    defd

it is easy. If the Slave say that its ok to steal and you read in the bible you must not steal, than they are wrong. Being the FDS does not make them infalliable. Jehovah does not force ANYONE to do the right thing. He doesnt force them to HEAR what His spirit is saying.

D.

• Confession
    Confession

Your example certainly does make it sound easy. But what about lying. If the Watchtower Society said it was okay to lie, would you do so?

• defd
    defd

ok, where are you going with this one. Bells are going off in my head.

D.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit