Birthday celebrations and customs - Are they for Christians?

by AlmostAtheist 173 Replies latest jw friends

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Strange how the Watchtower will quote from the church fathers to bolster their argument against the celebration of birthdays, but will not quote from the church fathers who argued in favor of the Trinity.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>> So we shouldn't drive cars or wear pants because Jesus didn't do those things.

Jehovah's Pantslesses? If they show up on my doorstep... sure, I'll listen!

Cordelia, glad you enjoyed the birthday thing! Yes, it was that document that cause the JW apologist to state that my reasoning in it was flawed. Hopefully he'll pop in and defend that position. (And no, it wasn't DefD!)

Dave

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

I'm with Loosie on this one - lots of things we do today isn't in the Bible, so does that mean that we can't do them??

Hmm, no TV, no telephones, no computers, no cars, no sneakers, no ski jackets, no modern conveniences at all. I don't know about you, but where I'm from, if I had to live in a small, uninsulated home and wear long tunics, no pants and no shoes, I'd be dead from hypothermia in about two minutes flat. Hey, it's Canada, it gets damn cold here in the winter!!

Just because it's not in the Bible doesn't make it inherently evil. If birthdays are evil because they weren't practiced in the Bible, then we're all going to Hell for wearing glasses and typing on our computers.

But oops, JWs don't believe in Hell, so I guess we're just doomed to cease to exist. Damn.

-Becka :)

• defd
    defd
    The poster argued that birthdays were not celebrated by any servant of god in the bible, and that history shows that Christians specifically avoided celebrating theirs despite others around them doing so.

May we have the reference for this statement? This what is used as a reference. The history of the Christian religion and church, during the three first centuries. ( New York, 1848 ) Augustus Neander ( Translated by Henry John Rose ) pg. 190 The Imperial Bible Dictionary ( London, 1874 ) edited by Patrick Fairbairn, Vol 1, pg, 225 D.

• defd
    defd

JWS are not the only Religion that does not celebrate Birthdays. Look at this site. It is interesting and I agree with it whole souled. http://www.thercg.org/articles/abcc.html

D.

• freedom96
    freedom96

The WTS has simply turned itself into an organization that just has to do the opposite of every one else, just for the sake of being different. Really, birthdays are not a big deal at all. There is nothing wrong with them. You want to say they have a pagan background? If you want to, I am sure there are many things that can be traced back to pagan times. Bottom line, get over it. New day and age. Enjoy.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I can't seem to find the post, but someone once posted about how dogs are mentioned something like 50 times in the Bible, always associated with bad things. Since birthdays are mentioned only twice, that makes dogs 2500% more evil than birthdays!
    SNG

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee
    Strange how the Watchtower will quote from the church fathers to bolster their argument against the celebration of birthdays, but will not quote from the church fathers who argued in favor of the Trinity.

Exactly. -ithinkisee

• hideme
    hideme

It was never mentioned that Jesus or the apostles ever 'used the bathroom'.

The only persons mentioned in the bible doing 'something' (went to stool?) were Eglon (bad man!), Saul (Bad man at that time!!)

So I think maybe this means that we just can't use the toilet anymore? It's definitely mentioned in a negative way!

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Its another of the witnesses way of being different and getting up other normal peoples noses...that way when people start pointing the finger and or making accusations the witnesses can then call it persecution. In reality its by virtue of the fact that they generally p*ss people off with their self righteousness and arrogance.

Db74

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit