The experience of a Christian elder found in todays WT study

by skin 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• skin
    skin

Pg19, pg16

When we studied this para in todays Watchtower I found it hard to believe that an Elder would think this way, what do you think?

16 Yes, no matter what dark valley we may find ourselves in, we do not have to walk through it alone. Our Shepherd is with us, helping us in ways that we may
    not fully perceive at first.
    Consider the experience of a Christian elder who
    was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. "I must admit that at first I found
    myself wondering if Jehovah was angry at me or even if he loved me.
    But I was
    determined not to pull away from Jehovah. Instead, I voiced my concerns to him.
    And Jehovah helped me, often comforting me through my brothers and sisters.

What kind of Christian Elder would come to that conclusion? I would say that every bottom of the spiritual ladder-Jehovah Witness would know that Jehovah should not be blamed for illness, including a malignant brain tumor (Wt 2003, 1 st Sept, pg 9, para 8).

And then to go to the FDS and have his spiritual weakness printed in the WT!.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    wondering if Jehovah was angry at me or even if he loved me.

Welcome skin-They make Jehovah the handy fall guy for everything good/bad this is the classic cult scapegoating method of operation,if they can't default to jehover then they can blame satan the world or 'apostates',Hitler had the Jews.-Danny Haszard

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I had raised eyebrows when I read that, too

Why should any "mature" JW think for one moment that an illness was sent by God, "because he was angry with me"? Even though the point of the narrative is that he second guessed those thoghts and went on to draw comfort from his faith - i find it very stange indeed.

How would I have felt if I had been in that position as a "Christian elder"? I am sure that the thought would never have occurred to me . I have always endorsed the view that "Time and unforseen ocurrence befall us all", or to put it more succintly, "Sh**t happens!. that is life.

I am surprised that they choose to print it.

• alreadygone
    alreadygone

I don't find it strange at all. It is human nature to try to blame someone/thing for the things that occur in life. I would like to meet that elder as he appears to be a little more "normal".

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

It sounds like something a 6 year old would say not a 'mature Christian elder'

• SallySue
    SallySue

I thought Jehovah only worked through the organization and did not bother with individuals...

At least that's how we believed 40 years ago...

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I'm sure that many of Jehovah's Witnesses are happy to be reassured that there are such fine, strong, spiritual shepherds taking the lead in the congregation.

W

• Carmel
    Carmel

Isn't this the logical outcome of believing in a "personal God", one that gets involved in the minutia of each person's life like they were each a Job? This is typical of most Christian thinking that some how the daily events of life have some magical intervention from on high. Not that I don't believe in a loving and caring creator, just don't think He operates on that level. Any testimony supporting such, I take as anecdotal and likely the function of an over-active imagination, a lot of vanity and ego.

Now, you are all $0.02 richer.

carmel

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Oh gawd, just cut this brother some slack already:

Matthew 27:46: About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

g ently f eral

• Shining One
    Shining One

Matthew 27:46:
    About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

Feral,
    This was the result of all sin being placed on the Lord's shoulders. "He became sin that we might have eternal salvation." God turned away from His son for the first time as He deivered all of the wrath upon Jesus at that moment.
    I was surprised that the principal of 'divine providence' slipped through as the JW false conception of God is somewhat less than that. The Watchtower denies so much of God that they truly do not worship the God of the Bible. JWs are not Christians if they believe what they are taught.
    Rex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit