What's a "fundie" and how would I know if I am one?

by pennycandy 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

No, really.

• Nate Merit
    Nate Merit

Hi Pennycandy

Nice pic of darlin Darla!

I'm going to treat this question as though you're serious on the outside chance that you really are serious.

The term fundamentals arose either in the late nineteenth or early twentieth century to describe what many biblical literalists regarded as the fundamentals of the Christian faith. The plenary (full) and verbal (right down to the detail of each word, but not that the Holy Spirit actually audibly spoke to the Bible writers) inspiration of the Bible, the Deity of Christ, his atoning blood, his bodily resurrection, and literal second coming. That's most of them.

Those who held to these fundamentals were called fundamentalists. Since then the term has expanded and taken on additional connotations, such as someone who rejects the evidence for evolution in favor of the assertion of special creation. Or someone who equates America with the Kingdom of God. Just about any screwball doctrine based on a literalistic understanding of the Bible qualifies one as a fundamentalist. The crazier the doctrine, the better!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    Nate

• tetrapod.sapien
  • pennycandy
    pennycandy

Sorry I had to post and run last night.

Those were great answers! I'm now sure I'm not a fundie. I was worried for a while.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Basically it is someone who is pushy about their faith or religion.

Someone who expresses "worry" for someone who is not the same religion.

Someone who condemns other religions why demanding special rights for their own.

You've never come across as a fundie to me... you have your faith and you are strong in it, but you are not pushy about it. That I can respect.

Here is a classic example of a Fundie... in fact I'd say she's a Psycho Fundie! (Actually I suspect she suffers from a psychological disorder called "Borderline Personality Disorder".)

http://media.putfile.com/Lady-Goes-Crazy-on-Trading-Spouses

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

Oh, I saw that episode. I wouldn't go in that woman's house if my life depended on it. I'd much prefer hanging out with the nice "dark-sided" lady.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I'd much prefer hanging out with the nice "dark-sided" lady.

Yeah, me too! She was a sweet heart.

I felt sorry for the shy daughter who liked to dance. Her personality is not at all well suited for dealing with a mother like that. It's like putting a kitten against a pit-bull.

• TopHat
    TopHat

AND all this time I thought a FUNDIE was someone who enjoyed having FUN> silly me!

• Shining One
    Shining One

Elsewhere,
    >Basically it is someone who is pushy about their faith or religion.
    No, you are describing someone who believes that it is important to share their faith. That is not the same as a fundamentalist since each fundamentalists may or may not engage in evangelism.
    >Someone who expresses "worry" for someone who is not the same religion.
    Do you mean someone has concern for the 'lost sheep' that Christ commands His followers to witness to? (Acts. 1.8; Matthew 28.19-20)
    >Someone who condemns other religions why demanding special rights for their own.
    Distortion and generalization, this is an obviously biased opinion.

A fundamentalist believes that the Bible is to be taken as absolutely truthful, without error of teaching or content and fully inspired by the Holy Spirit. You have no respect for fundies because they take scripture seriously, believe that God has revealed Himself in scripture and you do not like the message. You like weak willed and compromising Christians because they do not remind you that we are all accountable for everything that we do.
    Rex

• Shining One
    Shining One

Hi Nate,
    >The crazier the doctrine, the better!
    If that is true you are as fundamentalist as they come.
    Rex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit